Need some gear advice

nousername

• Members

The singer wants to start adding some duets to our setlist, and we've been playing at open mic nights with house gear, so I'll need to add some new gear to play elsewhere. Current:

Electric/acoustic guitar

Alto TS110A

SM57

Both could plug directly into the speaker; I would set the levels once, and then leave them alone. Of course, this has no option for vocal FX.

I have three ideas.

1) Her mic & my guitar > TC-Helicon Harmony-G XT > speaker + my mic directly into the speaker

2) Her mic & my guitar > TC-Helicon Harmony-G XT > small passive mixer + my mic into same mixer > speaker

3) Her mic & my guitar > passive mixer with FX > speaker

Options two and three give us options for a small monitor. I really liked the TC-Helicon pedal when I had one previously. I was careful to not use the harmony too much or have its level too high. Just a touch here and there.

Is there an option I'm overlooking? Or maybe something better? Thanks.

• Members

I would get the mixer before the G-XT. You can get something functional for $30 to serve the purpose in a pinch, and I would say if you're currently rolling without a mixer at all, you could be classified as in a pinch. It makes more sense to give you both at least reverb than it does to give one of you a slew of effects and leave the other one totally dry.

• Members

nousername wrote:

The singer wants to start adding some duets to our setlist, and we've been playing at open mic nights with house gear, so I'll need to add some new gear to play elsewhere. Current:

Electric/acoustic guitar

Alto TS110A

SM57

Both could plug directly into the speaker; I would set the levels once, and then leave them alone. Of course, this has no option for vocal FX.

I have three ideas.

1) Her mic & my guitar > TC-Helicon Harmony-G XT > speaker + my mic directly into the speaker

2) Her mic & my guitar > TC-Helicon Harmony-G XT > small passive mixer + my mic into same mixer > speaker

3) Her mic & my guitar > passive mixer with FX > speaker

Options two and three give us options for a small monitor. I really liked the TC-Helicon pedal when I had one previously. I was careful to not use the harmony too much or have its level too high. Just a touch here and there.

Is there an option I'm overlooking? Or maybe something better? Thanks.

Do you really need a harmony pedal if you have two singers? For the price of option three you could get something like the A&H Zed10FX and have a mixer you could keep for years. It also has Hi Z inputs for guitar, so in theory you could plug directly into the mixer, or go from your tuner pedal to the mixer....There are other cheaper mixers available as well if you're looking for something more disposable.

• Members

Shaster's recommendation would be mine as well.  Simpler, more streamlined, easier to control.  Unless you really want the harmonies, the FX on the ZED are good for a small acoustic act, and as you yourself suggested, this will give you the option of adding a monitor at some point (or another main and two monitors if the gigs get bigger). 

Get something like the ZED10FX and plug everything into that.

Louis

Archived