Ear fatigue?

Sick boy78

• Members

Do you experience this while performing?

When I sing maybe 15 to 20 tunes it seems as though my vocals start to sound muddy in my mix. I always start out very clear sounding and the vocals are set to kinda "pop" out in the mix, but after time it sounds kinda meh.. I never play crazy loud, it just acoustic stuff. So maybe I'm just crazy. Or is this common among singers?

• Members

Sounds like you've got quality equipment but there could be a ghost in the machine. Could it have something to do with your mic? Since only your voice is becoming distorted it seems the cause would be somewhere in the mic/mixer/speaker chain. Could be improper gain stucture... maybe.

• Members

I keep everything, gain and volume as close to unity or right on it. I'm using an sm 58 and go through a tc helicon voice create which has a tone boost. It gives a lot of clarity to the vocal and I keep my vocal channel EQed flat. Like I said, when I start playing at any time the vocals pop nice, awesome clarity and balance. But after awhile it sounds like I lose my highs. I lose that crisp sound, and to me it seems buried. So I think it might be my ears? Just because of the fact that when I play the next time with everything set the same, it sounds great. Idk, man. It's just weird.

• Members

I had the same pedal a few years ago, the TC voicetone create. It sounded good when it worked but it would simply stop working in the middle of a jam session. I bought it new. I'd have to unplug and plug it back into to make it work again. This happened too frequently for it to ever be used live. I let a friend borrow it and he had the same issues. The problem might be your pedal. 

Archived