Jolene from our second rehearsal

nousername

• Members

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48964107/jolene.mp3

Despite some initial personal speedbumps, we're making some really good progress as a group. They talked over amongst each other how to approach the song before arriving to rehearsal (a DAMN good sign), and sung it together acapella. So this is basically our first time through the song. The sound quality is typical for a phone, but I boosted a couple freqs and cut back another.

On what can we improve?

• Members

Are there two females singing? One thing, try that high harmony part an octave lower. Some of the harmony was either off pitch or just not good notes for harmony. There's some uncertainty there, so whoever is singing harmony needs to find the best notes to sing. 

• Members

Bob Dey wrote:

Are there two females singing? One thing, try that high harmony part an octave lower. Some of the harmony was either off pitch or just not good notes for harmony. There's some uncertainty there, so whoever is singing harmony needs to find the best notes to sing. 

Yeah, two females. We're definitely looking at how to tighten things up. Maybe more unison until they're more comfortable with everything.

• Moderators

harmonies are rarely simple or automatic. and what they think they are singing and what they are singing may not be the same thing...did they hear this back? I think, actually you need to drop the key; it sounds like you are at the upper range of the lead singer, and pushing the harmonist way to high to get the third above. I'm also with pogo on easing up on the guitar part...the song doesn't need to be driven all the way though. But, as Potts said, first run...post another recording after you've had time to really beat it senseless ;)

• Members

Listening to it, it doesn't sound like her heart is into the song. You've got to make it yours, even if you deviate from the original. It needs to be believable. This song is about emotions. Listen to The White Stripes version. There is no question that Jack makes it his own song and lets you know he owns it. I get bored as an audience member when I watch a band simply go through the motions of a song. If you want the crowd to get into your act, you've got to get into it too.

Archived