Landed ALL the Gigs

Potts

• Members

So I waited on my 2014 booking and it paid off. I just landed every Friday  at a place that I LOVE playing, 5 minutes from my house and it's a 6-10 for decent money. I've had a great relationship with the owner for about 5 years and realized a while ago that he always had me in there for the special events. So the booking agent just sent me an email confirming the dates. He gave me all of the Fridays from Jan-April except for a few that I already had booked. PLUS he gave me March 16th and 17th on top of the all the other dates.

Small issue...I have at least 4 friends that do solo work there and I just snatched up all of the work. I'd really love to announce this on Twitter/Facebook/Web because the bar is everyone's favorite. I don't really want to rub salt in anyone's wounds though. Advice?

• Members

If the owner books far in advance, your friends will find out soon enough. When they try to get bookings and everthing is filled, the cat will be out of the bag. Just depends which way you want them to find out...

At least it's an owner and agent call. If you had "stolen" the gigs away yourself there might be an issue, but when your agent called, what were you supposed to do - say no?

I've had this happen to me in a sub situation. I subbed for this guy at his steady gig, and they asked me to play there instead of him. The gig turned into about six months of work, three days a week. The other guy kind of hated playing there anyway, so it basically worked out, but he doesn't ask me to sub for him anymore! Actually, I'm very careful myself, of who I get to sub for me. I never want them so good that I don't get called back.

So don't expect to get any sub calls from me :)

• Members

First of all, congratulations.

How not to hurt their feelings? Tough one. Here's what I would do.

Announce it in a low-keyed, matter-of-fact, or understated manner to start with. Don't make it seem like you are bragging. 

If you know the other musicians well enough, tell them first. Tell them in a way that you put the choice in the mouth of the club owner/manager. Also, ask them if they would be receptive to you referring any private party work that might fall on those nights to them. 

Just try to put yourself in the shoes of your friends and decide how you would like to hear the news.

Notes

• Members

Potts wrote:

So I waited on my 2014 booking and it paid off. I just landed every Friday  at a place that I LOVE playing, 5 minutes from my house and it's a 6-10 for decent money. I've had a great relationship with the owner for about 5 years and realized a while ago that he always had me in there for the special events. So the booking agent just sent me an email confirming the dates. He gave me all of the Fridays from Jan-April except for a few that I already had booked. PLUS he gave me March 16th and 17th on top of the all the other dates.

Small issue...I have at least 4 friends that do solo work there and I just snatched up all of the work. I'd really love to announce this on Twitter/Facebook/Web because the bar is everyone's favorite. I don't really want to rub salt in anyone's wounds though.
Advice?

Announce on Twitter/Facebook.Web, other than your own website, just prior to each appearence...get more milage.

Go ahead and post all of them on your website.

• Members

So long as you didn't take a pay cut to get the gigs, I'd say you are good to go.

If I lose out on a gig, I first assume that I've lost out because either I didn't do as good a job or I didn't have the relationship with the hiring manager that some of the other acts had. If that's the case, then they are doing a better job at performing or selling themselves than I'm doing - good for them.

In many cases, though, I've heard that most of the guys around here who book the every week gigs are taking it at a cut rate. Usually, I hear it's about 30% less than the solo booking rate.

• Members

Howie22 wrote:

So long as you didn't take a pay cut to get the gigs, I'd say you are good to go.

If I lose out on a gig, I first assume that I've lost out because either I didn't do as good a job or I didn't have the relationship with the hiring manager that some of the other acts had. If that's the case, then they are doing a better job at performing or selling themselves than I'm doing - good for them.

In many cases, though, I've heard that most of the guys around here who book the every week gigs are taking it at a cut rate. Usually, I hear it's about 30% less than the solo booking rate.

Nope...

Archived