Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody use an iPad as a tracks player?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody use an iPad as a tracks player?

Wondering if anyone does this... Also, if there is any apps you know of that provide BIG display of track info, etc? The default iPad music app is really horrible, in my opinion, and even moreso if I wanted to use it live...

Thanks!
    -Matt

I have in the past but dumped it for the same reason. I ended up going with a laptop

Comment

My live rig includes an iPad, AmpKit+, and an Alesis IO-dock. Tracks are played from high-resolution mp3s that have been uploaded to the AmpKit+ app. This way, all my backing tracks AND my amp/effects settings are all in one place.
      Talking about music is like dancing about architecture. - Martin Mull

Comment

i have the backtrax app for my ipad and iphone. i worked with the originator and was able to help him tweak it for stage use. you can scroll thru your list like a rolodex and highlight the song you want to play. after the song ends, it moves to the next song, but wont start it untill you push the button. you can also scroll while the current song is playing.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/backtrax/id345007170?mt=8

63 GIBSON LES PAUL CUSTOM WHITE SG
        1 USA MOSRITE 65 MARK 1 SUNBURST
        1 FILLMORE MOSRITE CLASSIC BLACK
        1HALLMARK CUSTOM 60 MOSRITE (white pearl)
        LOTS OF TELE'S, STRAT'S, & GRETSCHES
        1 FENDER JAZZMASTER 96 SUNBURST
        LOTS OF TAKAMINES
        66' PRINCETON REVERB
        82' SUPER CHAMP

my NEW!!! youtube video page

Comment

I used mine for a fakebook, backing tracks were next...I just started using an app called progression...I still have not found something that allows chord stamps placed above text without spacing manally.
          Good deals with - Yarbicus, CBH5150, BozzofAngels, Alvin Wilson, Harris Quinn

Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.

Comment

Please can I ask a related question, too?

My Duo are often asked if we can play background music between our live sets.
            We are getting a new mixer on Monday - the Allen & Heath zed12fx - and are wondering about getting some kind of MP3 player to play background stuff through the desk.
            The only MP3 player I have is a Sansa clip - which is tiny and used for the Gym.
            Would an I-pod be the best way to go for us - or is it problematic as badhorsie777 has indicated?
            We dont have an itunes account. If we want to download MP3 tracks we have purchased them from Amazon and put them onto a CD. So if we got an ipod would we only be able to put itunes sourced tracks on it?

Can anyone recommend a suitable MP3 player for this purpose. Again. like the OP - one that's easy to read the tracks etc. on.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but it is kind of relevant to the discussion.

Hope you don't mind.
            xxx
            www.smoothduo.co.uk

Comment

• BlueStrat
              BlueStrat commented
              Editing a comment

SusieP wrote:
              Please can I ask a related question, too? My Duo are often asked if we can play background music between our live sets. We are getting a new mixer on Monday - the Allen & Heath zed12fx - and are wondering about getting some kind of MP3 player to play background stuff through the desk. The only MP3 player I have is a Sansa clip - which is tiny and used for the Gym. Would an I-pod be the best way to go for us - or is it problematic as badhorsie777 has indicated? We dont have an itunes account. If we want to download MP3 tracks we have purchased them from Amazon and put them onto a CD. So if we got an ipod would we only be able to put itunes sourced tracks on it? Can anyone recommend a suitable MP3 player for this purpose. Again. like the OP - one that's easy to read the tracks etc. on. Sorry to hijack the thread, but it is kind of relevant to the discussion. Hope you don't mind. xxx

You can upload any MP3 to itunes and it coverts it to MP4. I use my ipad for break music, running a cord out of the earphone jack to the board. 

Soory! I answered this as if it said IPod. My bad.

Comment

We (the band) use an iPod 'Shuffle' (the 4th gen with the buttons)...between sets, and have it loaded selectively with songs that are not on our master song list. Works great, inexpensive, a couple of gigs of space, plenty of tunes...
              "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
              "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

Since we are off topic... I use a classic iPod for my break music. It has 160 gig, and I have a playlist of stuff I don't play that I use when on break. I also have a playlist of my backing tracks in case the laptop fails. Knock on wood, 6 years it hasn't! I also have backup laptops!

To answer Susie, you don't need an iTunes account, you can load all your existing MP3s on any iPod. You have to use the iTunes software, but that doesn't mean you have to buy your existing MP3s through their store, it will find them on your hard drive.
                http://www.mjmmusicgroup.com

Comment

• remarkable1967
                  remarkable1967 commented
                  Editing a comment

I agree with Mike.

I also use an Ipod classic during breaks purely because it was the largest drive I could get at the time (160gb). I also carry a spare laptop formatted the same as my main netbook. It is stripped down, no internet, no office software, no anti-virus etc. all the tracks are as wav filrs rather than mp3 and i use Winamp free edition as a player. The only difference for me is that I hate using itunes so I use Sharepod instead. It is basically a stripped down itunes with all the dross you simply dont use or need taken away. It also means that you can use your ipod on any PC without the fear that itunes will try and erase everything because "this device is syncd to another PC".............blah, blah, blah !!. I try and stay away from Apple hardware & software as much as possible as it is far too intrusive and I simply dont like being ringfenced by Apple into what I can and cant do. Sorry..........I'm ranting about Apple again.........

Since we are off topic... I use a classic iPod for my break music. It has 160 gig, and I have a playlist of stuff I don't play that I use when on break. I also have a playlist of my backing tracks in case the laptop fails. Knock on wood, 6 years it hasn't! I also have backup laptops!

To answer Susie, you don't need an iTunes account, you can load all your existing MP3s on any iPod. You have to use the iTunes software, but that doesn't mean you have to buy your existing MP3s through their store, it will find them on your hard drive.

Thanks guys.

Daddymack,
                don't you find it awkward with that model having no screen?
                www.smoothduo.co.uk

Comment

Me? No, but I am not the one setting it up
                  Basically, since we know what is in the unit, we don't really care what comes on, we don't care what order the songs play in..as long as it comes on. That was why we got the shuffle...cheap, easy load, push play, push stop...everything we needed, nothing we didn't.
                  Luddite that I am, I don't even have an iPod...
                  "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
                  "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

Me? No, but I am not the one setting it up
                    Basically, since we know what is in the unit, we don't really care what comes on, we don't care what order the songs play in..as long as it comes on. That was why we got the shuffle...cheap, easy load, push play, push stop...everything we needed, nothing we didn't.
                    Luddite that I am, I don't even have an iPod...

Well, I've always avoided Apple stuff. They are expensive. I don't like touch screen phones either.
                    But mainly because I hate being told what to do, what to like etc by these crazy Apple fanatics
                    and the people I have come across so far [I don't mean you, of course!]must all be on sales commission from Apple the way they have gone on about 'oh but you HAVE to get an i-phone' or an i- this or i-that.
                    But I have heard horror stories too, that you have to have EVERYTHING by Apple if you start buying one product because nothing else works with them etc etc.

I have a tiny Sansa clip MP3 player that I use in the Gym. And it has a little screen on it for me to scroll through stuff if I don't have it on shuffle.

But now we're getting that beautiful new mixer desk tomorrow, I was thinking it might be nice to get a new MP3 player to plug into it for our break music.

And when I read your post I had a sneak peek on amazon uk and they have some shuffles for only $54
                    If you guys find the shuffle works for playing stuff in your breaks, then, I will consider getting one.
                    The ipod things with screens are WAY more money.
                    And as you say, if your shuffle is only loaded with suitable break music, then a screen isn't really necessary.
                    www.smoothduo.co.uk

Comment

• remarkable1967
                      remarkable1967 commented
                      Editing a comment

SusieP,

Oooooohhhh great.............. Another Apple Hater. I dont feel so bad about it now.

I play break music on my laptop, which is also what I use to play background tracks. This Dell latitude is getting pretty old, but it still works fine for mp3 play back.
                    BD

Comment

But I have heard horror stories too, that you have to have EVERYTHING by Apple if you start buying one product because nothing else works with them etc etc.

Not at all. Apple products work very happily on both windows and apple computers. As a phone, the iPhone is just amazing. Same for the iPad. I'm a guy who LIKES to save a buck... But the apple app store makes my iPad and iPhone extremely versatile machines. So whoever told you they only play nice with other apple products is either uninformed or trying to justify a different purchase. This coming from a super nerd who used to program way back in the days of DOS basic and built his own windows computers for over a decade before switching to 'the dark side'. . Just a heads up - both iPads and iPods, iPhones, etc are fantastic machines. Just curious who was using one in their setup.

-Matt

Comment

I'm using an old iPad 1 in my setup, with SongBook Chordpro. I love it. It's not perfect, but it's pretty great. Lets me put lyrics and chords on screen in whatever size I want, and can play a backing track while I'm reading the lyrics and chords. Also handles play lists for break music. I can't imagine doing a gig without it. I used to use iTunes to do backing tracks, and it was a little bit of a pain to deal with. But SongBook Chordpro makes it pretty darned easy.

For anyone who uses backing tracks AND needs lyrics in front of them for some songs, this is a great solution. You can probably pick up a used iPad 1 for about $200 to $250, and the program runs fine on it. I used to have to tape my lyrics to my keyboard stand when playing outside because of the wind. And at some gigs that were pretty dark, I had trouble seeing the words - not enough light. Both problems gone with the iPad. And you can easily get 10 hours out of the battery. Try that with a laptop.
                        ---
                        Richard MacLemale
                        My Website at www.richardmac.com

Comment

Working...
                        X