anybody cover "Quicksilver Messenger Service"?

pogo97

• Members

I remember listening to them in my youth. Probably covered a tune or two back then. Reminds me of some of the local bands like Mother Tucker's Yellow Duck

We had quite a scene here in Van, with bands like Mother Tucker's, The United Empire Loyalists, Sandal Spring, Headstrong, Brain Dead, Spring, High Flying Bird, Seeds Of Time and so on. And of course there was The Poppy Family, whom I saw when I was thirteen, before they became rich and famous.

I also recall that I was in grade nine or ten, and my band would sometimes play at these multi band events. Sure was fun to be on the same bill as the "big boys". I had a Guild Bluesbird guitar, a Dynaco amp, and a locally made cabinet (Kelly Deyong) with two Altec Lansing 15" speakers. Mic the guitar amp? What for?  Yes we were loud, very loud.

Re: San Fran bands, in recent years I've covered some Cold Blood and Tower of Power songs, but they might not be considered part of that sound, even though they were from Frisco and of that era. And I've mostly done them in bands, although I do play Don't Change Horses in my solo/duo. Pretty strange but hey, life is strange.

I've always thought that Are You Going to San Francisco might be okay for a solo, but not if you played it in heavy rotation.

EDIT - I've been doing Evil Ways from yet another Frisco band, and the kids seem to like it. Maybe because Santana is still around, maybe because it's kind of a timeless groove. Maybe the message is timeless too.

• Members

Shaster wrote:

Re: San Fran bands, in recent years I've covered some Cold Blood and Tower of Power songs, but they might not be considered part of that sound, even though they were from Frisco and of that era. And I've mostly done them in bands, although I do play Don't Change Horses in my solo/duo. Pretty strange but hey, life is strange.

I've always thought that Are You Going to San Francisco might be okay for a solo, but not if you played it in heavy rotation.

EDIT - I've been doing Evil Ways from yet another Frisco band, and the kids seem to like it. Maybe because Santana is still around, maybe because it's kind of a timeless groove. Maybe the message is timeless too.

#1:   calling it "Frisco" lets everyone know you're from out-of-town and might even you in trouble in the wrong part of the City.

#2:  Not every band from that era and that area can really be considered part of that "San Francisco Sound".  Tower Of Power is from Oakland, which might be one of the reasons they aren't part of the sound.   Not sure Santana counts either.   Creedence Clearwater Revival (as a more extreme example) most certainly would not.  

• Members

Hmmmmm. I get home from the gig tonight and turn on Randy Bachman's radio show, and he plays ToP's What Is Hip, followed by QMS doing Fresh Air. I haven't heard Quicksilver Messenger Service on the radio in decades and decades, and now all of a sudden, there they are. Kind of spooky; must be getting close to Halloween.

Archived