OT - The Wrecking Crew - A movie about the musicians who played the soundtrack of our lives

Notes_Norton

• Members

I know this is off topic, but I don't know where else to post it. DaddyMack, feel free to move it to the appropriate forum if you want.

The Wrecking Crew - A documentary movie about the musicians who played the soundtrack of our lives wants your help.

They played on well over 10,000 hit recordings and countless 'album cuts' of the 60s, 70s, and 80s. People like Plas Johnson, Leon Russell, Hal Blaine, Tommy Tedesco, Carol Kaye, Glen Campbell and others played the music that backed The Beach Boys, Frank Sinatra, Nancy Sinatra, Sonny and Cher, Jan & Dean, The Monkees, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Mamas and Papas, 5th Dimension, Tijuana Brass, Ricky Nelson, Elvis Presley, Johnny Rivers and Phil Spector's Wall of Sound and that's just a few!

The Wrecking Crew is a documentary movie that is already finished about these unsung heroes. Paying for the royalties to use the music clips and the AFofM to pay the musicians is the last hurdle. It's gotten awards at film festivals, but commercial movie theaters can't show the film until this last bill has been paid.

Tommy Tedesco's son Denny is producing the film, and to pay the last bit of royalties he is starting a Kickstarter campaign. I'm not a Kickstarter denizen, and this is only the second project I've backed. I'm getting the DVD and another bonus extra for my donation. I think there are many people like me who would love to own this DVD so I'm sharing it.

If you want to watch the trailer, and perhaps back the project, go to http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wreckingcrew/the-wrecking-crew-doc-untold-story-of-rock-and-rol or the official Wrecking Crew site http://wreckingcrew.tv/ for even more info - it's worth the visit even if you have no intention of buying the DVD.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

Thanks Notes,

I've been a huge Tedesco fan for decades. He used to write a column on studio playing in Guitar Player mag and he'd include scores he was presented with in the studio. He'd write "If you can't play this right the first time, your not ready for studio work." Some of the scores required monster reading chops. 

His book "For guitar players only" is the best I've seen on studio playing and reading for the guitar. He did a ton of movie scores too, including the guitar duet with John Williams for the Deer Hunter.

• Members

MartinC wrote:

Thanks Notes,

I've been a huge Tedesco fan for decades. He used to write a column on studio playing in Guitar Player mag and he'd include scores he was presented with in the studio. He'd write "If you can't play this right the first time, your not ready for studio work." Some of the scores required monster reading chops. 

His book "For guitar players only" is the best I've seen on studio playing and reading for the guitar. He did a ton of movie scores too, including the guitar duet with John Williams for the Deer Hunter.

Tedesco grew up and lived around here. Talk about intimidating.

• Members

Thanks for posting, I had all but given up on seeing this movie released. I first saw the flick quite a few years back and was bowled over. It's a great back stage look at the studio scene in Los Angeles during the golden pop era of the sixties and seventies. Besides Tommy, the film looks at folks such as Plas Johnson, Glen Campbell, Carol Kaye and many more. Also included are interviews with people like Cher, Nancy Sinatra and her musical director Don Randi (Baked Potato jazz club).

It's a fascinating film, easily equal to Standing In The Shadows of Motown - IMHO. I saw the director speak here in Vancouver and he mentioned the problems getting it to the masses. It's a real shame it hasn't been released yet. Anyone interested should get the DVD, you shouldn't be disappointed.

Archived