OT a bit. My duo partners kid is a raging brat...

Sick boy78

• Members

So my sis in law is my back up singer. I like what she brings to the table with her harmonies and voice. However, she insists on bringing her son over who is a bratty, WHINING, annoying, bullying, little five year old. I have kids too, and my daughter does like to play with him.. Sometimes. But, he bullies her most of the time and it's a huge distraction. He's so bad that I get anxiety when she brings him around and I'm a very laid back guy. Unfortunately, she incapable of understanding this issue and I've been avoiding practice. So she'll come over with him unannounced, typical with this family! And a lot of times she has pawned him off to us so she can go out after practice, or whenever!! She's totally incapable of understanding because of her selfish and denying personality. I hate bratty kids!!!

End rant.

• Members

I'll probably just scrap the duo. I've told her we can't practice while "babysitting". And honestly if she couldn't get the hint just from being interrupted non stop, then that's enough info for me. She used to leave him with dad, but for some reason doesn't do that anymore. The kid needs therapy. I just needed to rant! Ugh..

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I've been in bands since the 1960s and if there is one thing I've learned, is that talent is important but attitude is even more important.

When auditioning players for his band, Count Basie used to rank attitude more than talent. I agree.

If someone wants to be in my band or duo, he/she has to be as serious as I am, work as hard as I am, have fun playing music (this is VERY important), and have an easy to get along with personality. 

If the musician (and singers are musicians) doesn't get along with me, then my band (or duo) is not the right one for him/her.

I've had

• Those musicians who after the gig bitch about mistakes made instead of laughing about it - either one calls attention to what needs to be fixed
  • People who don't think rehearsal is important and don't make time for it or show up on time and ready to work
  • Folks that don't believe in practice and come to rehearsal unprepared
  • Musicians who show up late or take breaks that are too long
  • Players who don't have fun entertaining
  • People who don't respect the audience
  • And so on

They are all "Outta here" They won't work with my attitude, perhaps they would do fine in a different band that isn't as serious about fun as I am.

There are always good musicians who need work. Surely there is someone right for me.

I got very lucky with my duo partner (and wife). We were in different bands when we met, and hit it off as good friends immediately.

She is a fantastic singer (and I mean FANTASTIC) and plays decent guitar and synth (Buchla Thunder). I'm an adequate singer, can make excellent backing tracks, play sax and wind synth better than most, and am OK on the guitar, flute and keys. We both smile and giggle our way through the gig - gigging is our second favorite thing to do ... if someone makes a mistake that can be ignored, it's ignored ... if someone needs help, the other offers it if he/she can ... we both work hard at rehearsal and prepare our parts first ... we both love our audience members ... we seldom take breaks because we think our job is to make the audience have as much fun as we can possibly provide ... we cooperate well with each other and take each other's musical suggestions seriously and pick the best idea instead of just 'my idea' ... we love each other, we love to make music, and it shows.

If you have anything less, you need more.

Insights and incites by Notes 

Archived