Local Ad for Musician - Crazy stuff

Howie22

• Members

I saw an ad today on the ol' Craigslist looking for solo duo acts.

Typical three hour bar gig, but they are demanding a first set of AT LEAST 2 hours, then one 15 minute break, then the final 45-min set.

Now, I'm a performer that typically only takes one break during a three hour gig. Usually somewhere around halfway. Sometimes toward the 2 hour mark. Sometimes the break is only a few minutes. Other times (if a lot of friends are there), it can be long. On occasion I'll play three hours straight through with no breaks.

That being said, I've never heard of someone demanding that. Most performers take two breaks during a 3 hour show. How in the hell can you guarantee that you won't need to take a leak for at least two hours?? 

• Members

The places that are the most paranoid about breaks, are the places where the music is the only thing keeping the customers there. Yet ironically, they abuse the musicians because of the fact that they are so essential. It's as if they are saying, we can't pay you any real money or treat you right, because you aren't worth it, but don't take any breaks - otherwise the crowd will leave and we won't make any cash. At that point, those venues get into that sad phase of music as a necessary evil.

• Members

This is a place in financial trouble.and I'd skip it for sure. Ordinarily, in a 3 hour set, I don't take a break, but I want that to be my choice, not theirs, and any place that needs a solo musician to bring a crowd needs to take a serious look at their menu, their management, or their facility. 

• Members

I generally don't take a break in a 4 hour or less set. But that's my choice.

If a person specifies that I cannot take a break, I simply charge accordingly. Waaaay back when I was in the union I think it was called a continuous gig. 

I never-ever promise to bring a following. How can you promise what you have no control over? I tell them I have about 500 people on my e-mailing list, and I will invite them all, but I never know if 1 or all 500 will show up. I've seen both extremes. If I could figure out the audience, I'd go into the consulting business and make some serious money.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

Howie22 wrote:

That being said, I've never heard of someone demanding that. Most performers take two breaks during a 3 hour show. How in the hell can you guarantee that you won't need to take a leak for at least two hours?? 

The employer can dictate anything they want. They are paying you.

Look at any other job out there, the employer tells you when to take a break and when to eat lunch.

AFAIC, it wouldn't bother me a bit. Nothing for me to get my knickers in a knot about.

• Members

I've done continous music gigs and we'd rotate the players so everyone got their breaks and the music never stopped. Even did a solo gig once like that-there was two of us. People pay a lot extra for continous music. In the case of the solo gig, it was obviously double. The CL ad however, is likely just a clueless operator as opposed to someone who knows that what they are asking for is unusual and warrants extra dough.

• Moderators

guido61 wrote:

Howie22 wrote:

How in the hell can you guarantee that you won't need to take a leak for at least two hours?? 

Pee before you go.

and don't take in any fluids while on the gig...

I have seen this 'request' occassionally, but strictly for private work, not in public venues.

• Members

Telecruiser wrote:

The employer can dictate anything they want. They are paying you.

Look at any other job out there, the employer tells you when to take a break and when to eat lunch.

AFAIC, it wouldn't bother me a bit. Nothing for me to get my knickers in a knot about.

I don't believe I've ever had a job where I wasn't free to go to the bathroom at any time of my choosing. Truthfully, it's been a LONG time since I've had a job where I was dictated when to take a break or when to take lunch, or even how long for that matter.

Archived