Attire - anything besides Hawaiian shirts?

Bob Dey

• Members

I've cut back on Hawaiian shirts. For a short sleeve shirt I've been wearing Columbia shirts which have a Caribbean look. I used to wear a shirt, tie and even a suit in restaurants and country clubs. But when I play a regular bar this time of year I don't have much of a musician look. My long sleeve shirts are either dress shirts or just ordinary. 

Anything a lilttle hipper in long sleeve shirts? What do you all wear? Oh and I turned 60 this year :D

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Bob Dey wrote:

I've cut back on Hawaiian shirts. For a short sleeve shirt I've been wearing Columbia shirts which have a Caribbean look. I used to wear a shirt, tie and even a suit in restaurants and country clubs. But when I play a regular bar this time of year I don't have much of a musician look. 
My long sleeve shirts are either dress shirts or just ordinary. 

Anything a lilttle hipper in long sleeve shirts? What do you all wear? Oh and I turned 60 this year
:D

I think the bottom line is , how do you look in what you are wearing.  If you rule out the things that just dont go together because of clashing colors and patterns and dont wear a T shirt with a beer gut,  most things will flush for the kind of shows that I do.

If you are old like me, One of the biggest things I have done to up my look was to dump 45 pounds and get back into shape and get enough sun that i dont look like casper the ghost.   We are working in a beach resort town where its in the high to mid 90s even after dark in the summer so we take that into consideration.   You dont want to fry yourself in the sun , and you dont want big sweaty wet spots in your shirts that show.  Short hair seems to work better better for me these days.... We are pretty casual compared to bands like daves, but we are also a totally different kind of band. 

• Members

TIMKEYS wrote:

I think the bottom line is , how do you look in what you are wearing.  If you rule out the things that just dont go together because of clashing colors and patterns a...

Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy. Albert Einstein

• Members

I don't know your market, you may play a lot of open-air beachside/harbourside/resort/cruise ship gigs where a Hawaiian shirt is perfectly acceptable...  but outside of those specific scenarios, the Hawaiian shirt is one look I would definitely avoid! Same goes for T-shirts, it portrays this image that you don't really care that much about the gig or the venue to even iron a shirt.

My suggestion, which I see working for older and younger guys regardless of whether or not they are shape... get a few nice button up shirts in solid colours or stripes for gigging. I do 2 in black, 2 in pale blue stripe. Pick colours that work with your skin tone, colours and cuts that work both tucked in with chinos (nicer gigs) or untucked over jeans (casual gigs) where you can roll the sleeves up. If it's realy hot and you absolutely must wear shorts, then pay attention to your footwear!

Presentation matters, because that is what a lot of people base their first impression on. Plus when you look good, you feel good and can deliver with more confidence.

• Members

michaelBT wrote:

I don't know your market, you may play a lot of open-air beachside/harbourside/resort/cruise ship gigs where a Hawaiian shirt is perfectly acceptable...  but outside of those specific scenarios, the Hawaiian shirt is one look I would definitely avoid! Same goes for T-shirts, it portrays this image that you don't really care that much about the gig or the venue to even iron a shirt.

My suggestion, which I see working for older and younger guys regardless of whether or not they are shape... get a few nice button up shirts in solid colours or stripes for gigging. I do 2 in black, 2 in pale blue stripe. Pick colours that work with your skin tone, colours and cuts that work both tucked in with chinos (nicer gigs) or untucked over jeans (casual gigs) where you can roll the sleeves up. If it's realy hot and you absolutely must wear shorts, then pay attention to your footwear!

Presentation matters, because that is what a lot of people base their first impression on. Plus when you look good, you feel good and can deliver with more confidence.

T Shirts can work for rock and roll but your chest better over power your gut.    I dont like white tennis shoes on stage.  Makes you look like mickey mouse.  

• Members

I'm going to disagree with everyone with rules like "jeans are to casual." Do you look clean? Does it look good on you? Are there people there who are more dressed down than you? Does it make sense with your location and/or material? If you answered yes to all these questions, then wear it.

I wear a lot of black button downs and solid-colored zip hoodies. Gray jeans, all day every day. Sambas. It's casual, but it's clean and it works, and in an alternative rock (which I cover a lot of) sort of way, it's hip. If an owner doesn't like what I'm wearing, then I'm obviously playing at the wrong place.

My suggestions are simply to dress for your gig like you'd dress for a promotional photo. And vice versa. Make sure they know what they're getting. And if in doubt, wear black. It's universally flattering.

• Members

SLScott86 wrote:

I'm going to disagree with everyone with rules like "jeans are to casual." Do you look clean? Does it look good on you? Are there people there who are more dressed down than you? Does it make sense with your location and/or material? If you answered yes to all these questions, then wear it.

I wear a lot of black button downs and solid-colored zip hoodies. Gray jeans, all day every day. Sambas. It's casual, but it's clean and it works, and in an alternative rock (which I cover a lot of) sort of way, it's hip. If an owner doesn't like what I'm wearing, then I'm obviously playing at the wrong place.

My suggestions are simply to dress for your gig like you'd dress for a promotional photo. And vice versa. Make sure they know what they're getting. And if in doubt, wear black. It's universally flattering.

This.. exactly this. And that's why I wear black on top, jeans and either Sambas or one of the other 25 pairs of sneakers I'm additicted to.

• Members

Depends on milleau.

Euro resort, summer: futbol jersey, tucked into Speedos. White socks, crocs or birkenstocks.

Euro resort, fall, spring: houndstooth suit. Winkle pickers.

Eastern Euro, morning gigs, casual: cheetah print velour tracksuit, fluoro trainers. Evening: add cape.

American riverboat/saloon gigs: arm garters, striped britches. Straw hat. Less starch in hotter weather.

Nunnery: Wimple. Black or other dark color habit before Lent.

Anytime, added to any above, to make more formal: cravet, dickie, cane, monocle. A briefcase is a nice touch.

• Moderators

Dilrod wrote:

Depends on milleau.

Euro resort, summer: futbol jersey, tucked into Speedos. White socks, crocs or birkenstocks.

Euro resort, fall, spring: houndstooth suit. Winkle pickers.

Eastern Euro, morning gigs, casual: cheetah print velour tracksuit, fluoro trainers. Evening: add cape.

American riverboat/saloon gigs: arm garters, striped britches. Straw hat. Less starch in hotter weather.

Nunnery: Wimple. Black or other dark color habit before Lent.

Anytime, added to any above, to make more formal: cravet, dickie, cane, monocle. A briefcase is a nice touch.

Winkle pickers?

Archived