Things that annoy you about Venues/owners - a moan and groan thread....

SusieP

• Members

The recent snow here has been a pain in the bum.

We only tend to get deep snow 2 or 3 times a year and because it is so erratic, we aren't geared up to cope with it like countries who get the snow regulary every year and for long periods of time.

And sometimes the roads are a nightmare to pass and it causes chaos.

Last weekend our Saturday gig was cancelled because the venue was under a foot of snow and the owners closed it for the day.

This Saturday night went ahead, we got to the venue at 6pm, it was in darkness. The car park was covered in snow and most of it had turned to ice. Our Transit van was just skidding and we got stuck trying to turn it into position near the doors. No snow had been cleared. There had been no fresh snowfall that day.

We carry shovels in the van in winter - just in case - so we started to dig and managed to get the van into position. When the staff arrived to open up at 7pm they told us the stage was round the back and they expected us to drive all the way around there to unload the gear. We explained that we'd already got stuck in their car park and asked if we could carry the gear in through the front. That was ok. Of course, it was a long way to the stage from the front but we didn't want to get stuck again in the snow.

Nor did we want to have to dig a load of snow to clear a path for us.

This was now 7pm - we'd been there an hour, they said we had to be set up and sound checked for 8.15pm as that's when they wanted us to start the show.

So, why is it that venue owners show so little consideration for their entertainment?

Why hadn't they cleared some snow so we could get in their premises easier?

Why didn't they open the place up earlier because they knew their car park was covered in snow and that it might take us longer to get all the gear in?

And to make it even more fun, the dressing room was FREEZING.

And of course at the end of the night we had to dig a bit more snow out of the way because of the ice.

I feel better having got all of that off my chest.

What else annoys about venue owners being inconsiderate?

Oh by the way, the crowd in there are used to having solo acts on so they all thought we were a pleasant change and they really enjoyed our show. And they have said they will get us to come back again when there is no snow!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought you were gonna say they cancelled the gig. That's the only complaint I can think of, but you learn not to expect to get a lot of respect after a while. I also have hated some of the place I've had to set up, like kind of in the middle of the room as opposed to having a wall behind. Oh, and some kind of stage would be nice!

• Members

So, why is it that venue owners show so little consideration for their entertainment?

It's funny. You would think that good social skills would be a prerequisite for being a venue owner (host). In practise, though, many owners seem to have only enough social skills to cadge the next quick buck or other personal perk (nudge nudge wink wink).

I imagine snow is a different issue for you than here, where it's expected and simply dealt with. But even here, driving in winter is a risky, messy business and I wonder about the wisdom of my friends who will drive many kilometres to a gig in bad weather for insulting money and no thanks.

• Members

Bob Dey wrote:

I thought you were gonna say they cancelled the gig. That's the only complaint I can think of, but you learn not to expect to get a lot of respect after a while. I also have hated some of the place I've had to set up, like kind of in the middle of the room as opposed to having a wall behind. Oh, and some kind of stage would be nice!

I just get fed up of having to dig my way into a car park and dig my way out again before a show.

That is not my job.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

But, no, they didn't cancel it - which would have been worse.

• Members

For me, last night wasn't so much the venue owner as it was the "crowd" that was there.

All night long this one table of 4 kept calling "HEY!"  It took awhile before I realised they were yelling at me!  Once I knew they were "cat-calling" me, it was tough to act like I didn't hear them  :)

After playing 4 straight requests in a row for a large table (without a tip) they preceded to rip me a new butt for not playing a David Alan Coe song. 

One gripe about the venue last night...they changed the drink policy and didn't tell me.  At the end of the night when I go to get paid the bartender hands me the money, and a bill.  I inquire, he tells me the new policy, I sit and think for a sec and say "you guys didn't tell me about this; I'll start next time"

So I ate and drank for free, but apparently that will be the last time.  Venues are getting tighter with the perks...moan and groan indeed...

• Members

And another thing while I'm moaning and groaning!

When I got to my venue last night...the band from the night before STILL had all their PA set up.

So I'm going to moan and groan about crappy bands that don't move their equipment at the end of the night for the next band. 

Get your f$@*ing gear at the end of the night you stupid f$@(ing cock star!!!

Ok I feel better now!

• Members

Geez, the last band left the pa?? That's a joke! I'd never do that unless I was playing the next night. You should have taught em a lesson;)

Most places around here are good to the acts. Comp drinks all night and pay accordingly. If I ever got a bill after playing ala blues brothers, I'd never be back.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

things I have found after all these years:

-Musicians are regarded as lower than the kitchen help. Worse in Europe than the US.

-We are only usefull to sell alcohol or set the ambience in a high end place and we better know our place!

-All issues above and more are because WE ARE SO DESPERATE TO PLAY THAT WE ALLOW ALL THE BAD CRAP TO HAPPEN TO US. Bad pay? Our fault..Crappy gigs, no repsect.? Our fault.  I could go on...Bottom line, Why be in business with a bar owner that doesn't respect you?

I would have packed up and left the gig if I were Susie, or at the very least they would have heard a mouth full, I would have done my job, collected my pay and left. Nothing extra. 

Time we start developing some respect for ourselves. It's wishful thinking, I know..

Archived