Which set up should I use for acoustic gigs?

musicmanmu

• Members

Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide what would be the best set up to use for my next acoustic gig.

Normally, I use my Yamaha 600w powered mixer with a Carvin LM15 speaker, and that's it.

I loaned out my mixer and an old pair of Carvin 810 10 inch, 200w speakers for a friend doing a wedding, an I was surprised at how good they sounded...much fuller than I thought.

I was thinking about using these instead of the 1 15 inch speaker for my next acoustic gig (just acoustic guitar and vocals, but I do some looping where I create percussion on the guitar, which is why I tend to use the 15 inch speaker, thinking it'd give me better bass).

I am curious as to what you guys think? I'm sure the best way to go is to just try it and see what it sounds like, but I was wondering what everyone thought.

Thanks!

• Members

I used to use just one 12" Peavey when doing acoustic gigs. More than one speaker may be needed for bigger rooms. You can cover more space at a lower volume with more speakers. But most acoustic gigs have a small audience, so one speaker is usually enough. Less stuff to bring in too.

• Members

You can go even smaller for just acoustic guitar and vocals - a 8" EV ZxA1 (or a pair for more coverage) will do very nicely, with less weight and a smaller size than 10" speakers, while sounding very good.   Or, consider a Fishman SA-220 all-in-one solution. 

• Members

I'd use the2 10" speaker and small mixer. One for monitor and one for main. or 2 for main's if you need more coverage, one behind you, off to the side for double duty as a monitor as well. Good to go, quick set up, light. a 15 for acoustic is overkill.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think I must be the only guy getting bigger than smaller gear!!

I love th LM15's and have 2 for mains. (They are powered) I like bass. ALOT of bass. I have a powered 12 for a monitor--If i need one.

I also have 2 powered 15 subs if I ever need them. If you bang on your acoustic while playing it sounds like a bass drum. I could never ever achieve that with one 10" speaker not even with the QSC 10" in DEEP mode.

• Members

musicmanmu wrote:

Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide what would be the best set up to use for my next acoustic gig.

Normally, I use my Yamaha 600w powered mixer with a Carvin LM15 speaker, and that's it.

I loaned out my mixer and an old pair of Carvin 810 10 inch, 200w speakers for a friend doing a wedding, an I was surprised at how good they sounded...much fuller than I thought.

I was thinking about using these instead of the 1 15 inch speaker for my next acoustic gig (just acoustic guitar and vocals, but I do some looping where I create percussion on the guitar, which is why I tend to use the 15 inch speaker, thinking it'd give me better bass).

I am curious as to what you guys think? I'm sure the best way to go is to just try it and see what it sounds like, but I was wondering what everyone thought.

Thanks!

It depends on what kind of gig it is. If it's a chill restaurant/wine bar type gig, the sound requirements will be different than a rowdy tavern or cocktail bar. Also venue size and volume needs. For example. my gigs are mostly chill restaurant deals, playing James Taylorish-Shawn Mullins-Dylan-John Prine kind of stuff, lots of fingerpicking ( I never use a pick with an acoustic guitar), so I wouldn't need for my guitar to ever sound like a kick drum or need a ton of bottom end. Other guys around her play alot of 80s and 90s rock covers acoustically, and are hard strummers, and that's awhole different deal. 

Archived