Where do you think the most active Solo scene is in the US?

sventvkg

• Members

I think you would have to define solo. Do you mean piano cocktail hotel gigs, or a guy playing Hotel California with tracks. Is money a factor? Some places have lots of gigs but don't pay much.

I know that Korea and Japan have some nice paying hotel gigs, but I don't know how many. I would also imagine that in North America, sprawling metro areas or resort destinations would have more gigs, but it's going to be dependent on an area's economic strength as well.

• Members

Shaster wrote:

I think you would have to define solo. 

Come on Shaster  ;)   

I think it's safe to say we know what "solo" means around this forum-- Guys that lug around an acoustic and their voice and play gigs by themselves. Some have tracks some don't.

• Members

Pat I include solo one man bands and anyone doing pub gigs in with solo acoustic gigs even though they rarely cross over as far as same performers. Just interested to know where the fertile, active music scenes are for those of us who perform solo. US specific. :)

• Members

sventvkg wrote:

Pat I include solo one man bands and anyone doing pub gigs in with solo acoustic gigs even though they rarely cross over as far as same performers. Just interested to know where the fertile, active music scenes are for those of us who perform solo. US specific.
:)

Generally coastal resort areas have been good. Ski areas will be good during the winter. Not much going on here in SW Michigan. Grand Rapids has a lot more paying venues than Kalamazoo. Piano players will do best at dualing piano bars. Knowing lots of songs, especially songs that most people request is most important in order to compete with the top solo acts in resort areas. Not to mention the ability to talk and have fun with the crowd.

• Members

Agree with broader capabilities of pianos (thats why I play  one), not as sure about the energy level though..IMO thats a wash. I think it has alot to do with pianos being more suitable for kitschy, older (pre-rock) material that is a staple of dueling piano sing-alongs.

I've never done the dueling piano thing as it obviously not the best fit for somewhat shy, hard-of-hearing pianists who don't sing much (although maybe could work the hearing issue into the act- handicaps are hilarious!). The piano bars I currently work do NOT want the rowdy dueling piano atmosphere, but at previous venues I used to enjoy getting groups and individuals to sing with the piano. "Pianaoke" is fun.

• Members

sventvkg wrote:

I know there are lots of opportunities all over FL and I know some of you gig a lot in other places. Where do you think are the best scenes with the most gigs right now?

We are still in the off season down here on the texas gulf coast.   The winter season winds up slow and peaks in feb,, ends in march because during spring break it all goes DJs and Rappers.    Another thing is that the local solo guys pretty well have their turf nailed down and have for years.  Resort towns run on the model of the tourists rotate and the acts stay with their house shows they have had for years.   Its tough to break in as a new guy because the guys you are trying to displace have a following.   New faces are not very common.  I think all the numbers are a bit off as well due to the economy across the board.   If a solo slot openes up, typically someone from a band or duo will take that solo slot because the local venue owners know them.   I know here its somthing that you have had to build up, by starting at the bottom and working your way up to a top solo act.   You wont come in as a stranger and knock off a guy who has been living here and in the local musican pool.   We picked up our trio show this last summer as a replacment for a solo gal that has wintered down here for years.   We did well on tue night and she has wed now. 

• Members

TIMKEYS wrote:

We are still in the off season down here on the texas gulf coast.

I stayed in Galveston one new years, that place was DEAD. Did get to see the Rock, Paper, Scissors championship on tv though, for $10k, I kid you not. Those two together make the memory I have shared with you. :)

• Members

TIMKEYS wrote:

sventvkg wrote:

I know there are lots of opportunities all over FL and I know some of you gig a lot in other places. Where do you think are the best scenes with the most gigs right now?

We are still in the off season down here on the texas gulf coast.   The winter season winds up slow and peaks in feb,, ends in march because during spring break it all goes DJs and Rappers.    Another thing is that the local solo guys pretty well have their turf nailed down and have for years.  Resort towns run on the model of the tourists rotate and the acts stay with their house shows they have had for years.   Its tough to break in as a new guy because the guys you are trying to displace have a following.   New faces are not very common.  I think all the numbers are a bit off as well due to the economy across the board.   If a solo slot openes up, typically someone from a band or duo will take that solo slot because the local venue owners know them.   I know here its somthing that you have had to build up, by starting at the bottom and working your way up to a top solo act.   You wont come in as a stranger and knock off a guy who has been living here and in the local musican pool.   We picked up our trio show this last summer as a replacment for a solo gal that has wintered down here for years.   We did well on tue night and she has wed now. 

Good post Tim. I think it's like that everywhere. One exception might be that the crowd has become tired of the regular act, but if the replacement doesn't measure up there will be complaining. Even if they're tired of the regular solo, they're still used to him or her, and people don't like change.

It usually takes a while to win over a regular crowd. That is, if you get your foot in the door. Personality seems do go further than actual talent, but if one has both there's a much better chance.

• Members

I"'ve been to florida at different times of year in the past.  It sure seemed like Fort Myers had guys playing everywhere I went, no matter what time of year it was down there.  Has that changed?  I don't know what guys bring in playing little restaurants and such.  But I always thought that it would be pretty easy to get a gig down there."

I played Fort Myers, Sanibel, and Captiva from 1988-2006. There are still plenty of places to play but not like it was in the heydey. The beach nightlife has changed quite a bit there in my opinion...

You are correct most of the gigs there are year-round.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I'm bringing this thread back because I seriously want to start making trips to FL for gigs. Any info on FL solo music scenes are greatly appreciated! I know people in the Destin/PCB/Pensecola area as well as Palm Beach county, south scene, plus orlando. I know there's tons of places to play in SE FL. I'm interested in The Space Coast up to JaX as well as The West Coast. Wish Richard was still around because he had the Tampa Bay area info connect! Anyway, any info would be appreciated! thanks,

• Members

sventvkg wrote:

I'm bringing this thread back because I seriously want to start making trips to FL for gigs. Any info on FL solo music scenes are greatly appreciated! I know people in the Destin/PCB/Pensecola area as well as Palm Beach county, south scene, plus orlando. I know there's tons of places to play in SE FL. I'm interested in The Space Coast up to JaX as well as The West Coast. Wish Richard was still around because he had the Tampa Bay area info connect! Anyway, any info would be appreciated! thanks,

I have at least three friends that take trips down to the Orlando area for a month every year and clean up.

• Members

So far from all my investigation it looks like N/Central FL Takes the cake. All my friends, former band mates and connections there say I would be gigging full time solo, and bands on weekends if I wanted in no time.....

Do I stay and follow the dream here in Nashville or get pragmatic and leave?? Now that's the question....Lord knows I'm broke....Maybe give it one serious run here, out and about playing, making connections 5 nights a week?..I would if I could afford the gas $$ and someone to watch the kids while my wife works...that's been the problem all along. Haven't been able to get out enough...catch 22.

• Moderators

sventvkg wrote:

So far from all my investigation it looks like N/Central FL Takes the cake. All my friends, former band mates and connections there say I would be gigging full time solo, and bands on weekends if I wanted in no time.....

Do I stay and follow the dream here in Nashville or get pragmatic and leave?? Now that's the question....Lord knows I'm broke....Maybe give it one serious run here, out and about playing, making connections 5 nights a week?..I would if I could afford the gas $$ and someone to watch the kids while my wife works...that's been the problem all along. Haven't been able to get out enough...catch 22.

that is often the problem...needing the time to go out...does Mrs. Viking work nights? Then, yeah, you are screwed.

I fought a similar issue here in LA, trying to do studio work in the early 90s, but my then-wife worked days, and I finally resigned myself to the fact that I had to wait until the kids were older.  When that eventually happened, I was able to get some studio work in the 'class d' and 'class c' studios here; shortly after that, I was divorced, and decided to write and try fronting my own band for the first time. But at that point, I was in my late 40s, and my looks were waning, and this town is so image conscious...the dream was over.

Archived