X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• powered speakers for piano duo

No backing tracks. I already own a mixer. Small rooms. I care about the bass not sounding thin but it doesn't have to sound massive, just balanced. I tend to buy everything second-hand, but it's not a religion for me, so out-of-production products are fine as are in-production products. I prefer stereo sound from the piano but a single speaker "as a starter" would be okay.

Right now, we're playing through a Motion Sound 200s keyboard amp on the floor but pointed up 45

Hi Mom!

I assume you are using this for piano and vocals, so you will need to have the speaker, plus a stand.

The trick will be having  the frequency response to cover the piano, but anything with a 10" or larger should handle that.

You should be able to find tons of used ones. Just avoid the bargain basement stuff like Behringer.

_"We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminant period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Comment

• TIMKEYS
      TIMKEYS commented
      Editing a comment

daddymack wrote:

I assume you are using this for piano and vocals, so you will need to have the speaker, plus a stand.

The trick will be having  the frequency response to cover the piano, but anything with a 10" or larger should handle that.

You should be able to find tons of used ones. Just avoid the bargain basement stuff like Behringer.

I have played through a carvin set up with a power mixer and I didnt find it very good for keyboards espeically piano.  Like you say there is a ton of used powered speakers out there,  Most decent mid grade stuff will do a good job.  The two I have experience with are eons and mackie 450s.  They both seem to get the job done on a budget. 

• pogo97
      pogo97 commented
      Editing a comment

daddymack wrote:

Yes, piano and vocals. Otherwise, I could use the Motion Sound for piano and *whatever* for vocals. But the idea is to carry less, not more. You figure a 10" would give me realistic bass end?

I know of at least two keyboard players that use the Yorkville NX55P for keys. They sound very good with keys and can get painfully loud! I just did a gig with a fellow last Thursday and he was behind me and it was beyond loud - with my earplugs in. He was also using an NX200 sub, but again he was playing heavy duty left hand bass as there was a drummer, two horns, guitar and two vocalists.

I would say that a used (with warranty) Yorkville NX55P would do the trick and I've seen them in that $500 to $600.00 mark used  http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/367/Pro_Audio_Recording/PA_Cabinets/Yorkville_Sound/NX55P_550_Watt_12inch_1-inch_Powered_PA_Speaker.htm Vocals sound quite nice with them - especially at the volume you'll be playing at. and they do have a fair bit of bottom. I would take one of those over a Mackie SRM 450 and the Eons - as far as quality of sound goes.

Another lighter Yorkville sub, if you should ever need one, is the YX10SP  http://yorkville.com/loudspeakers/yx/product/yx10sp/. I work with a piano player that uses one, and they're plenty loud for lounges. Even big hotel lounges.

Comment

• TIMKEYS
      TIMKEYS commented
      Editing a comment

Shaster wrote:

I know of at least two keyboard players that use the Yorkville NX55P for keys. They sound very good with keys and can get painfully loud! I just did a gig with a fellow last Thursday and he was behind me and it was beyond loud - with my earplugs in. He was also using an NX200 sub, but again he was playing heavy duty left hand bass as there was a drummer, two horns, guitar and two vocalists.

I would say that a used (with warranty) Yorkville NX55P would do the trick and I've seen them in that $500 to $600.00 mark used  http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/367/Pro_Audio_Recording/PA_Cabinets/Yorkville_Sound/NX55P_550_Watt_12inch_1-inch_Powered_PA_Speaker.htm Vocals sound quite nice with them - especially at the volume you'll be playing at. and they do have a fair bit of bottom. I would take one of those over a Mackie SRM 450 and the Eons - as far as quality of sound goes.

Another lighter Yorkville sub, if you should ever need one, is the YX10SP  http://yorkville.com/loudspeakers/yx/product/yx10sp/. I work with a piano player that uses one, and they're plenty loud for lounges. Even big hotel lounges.

I thinkthe bottom line is that there are tons of powered speakers that will do a decent job.  I picked up three srm 450s new when they made the model change and picked them up on a black friday sale a few years ago for 400 a piece.  It was a no brainer.   They have pulled main FOH duty , monitor duty , keyboard amp duty.   Some people have had problems that I have read about with them thermaling out and shutting down ,, but we use them all the time in the summmer outside in south texas on their side as monitors and never had one shut down on us.  I think the OP has lots of affordable choices that would be fine for the type of gig he is doing.  Find a good deal on some powered speakers and pull the trigger.  Give them a test run and pick a pair you like the sound of. 

We just love our HK Audio Elias PX powered speakers.
    Not cheap but worth the money in our opinion.
    Five year warranty too.
    www.smoothduo.co.uk

Comment

One of these would do you. Click image for larger version

Name:	Rent-QSC-K12-Rental-San-Francisco.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	91345 They sound fantastic!!!! I like the powered Mackie, et al stuff just fine. But the QSC is like a studio monitor on a gig. Completely natural sounding yet very extended in the lows without boom or mud. Amazing stuff for relatively cheap. Buy one... http://www.fullcompass.com/product/3...FcU-MgodnAwA9Q
      Last edited by Lee Knight; 03-19-2014, 09:42 AM.
      ___

Comment

Thanks Susie and Lee. You won't know this because most of the posts to this thread have gone missing (it says 37 posts... I don't see 37 posts here) but I bought an Electro Voice ELX112P (no link because putting in a link just crashed Safari and life is short). There was a very good review link that has also gone missing that convinced me. Emailed EV in Canada to find a local dealer who would sell it for the online price of $399 and ordered through them.

So, the price was in the range I could afford, it sounds lovely--the piano is convincing (albeit mono) and the vocals natural--and they can be very loud although I haven't tested the limits or close to them. It was more than sufficient to fill a 30' x 60' hall last friday, piano/vocal duo playing with drums. The foh sound was excellent. We needed a separate monitor for the drummer (so he could play too loud and still hear the bandleader) and I didn't find a position for the speaker that gave us full-range sound onstage, but there's a limit to what one speaker can do, I suppose. Bottom line, though, is that if it's pointing more-or-less at you it sounds dandy. I'm happy.
        Hi Mom!

Comment

Working...
        X