I am starting the best Open Mic Night EVER! (I hope)

Weird Uncle Tim

• Members

It is a done deal. This IS going to happen so just lie back and try to enjoy it. I know that there is controversy surrounding Open Mic Nights here, so if this is repugnant to you go find a backing track post to vent on.

I want to know what you would do if it was you. What are the things that made you say,

• Moderators

sorry, unc, had to do some injudicious editing on your post...

Anyway, a couple of things to be careful about...

1) put people up in the order in which they signed up.

2) keep the song count/stage time consistent...if someone does a 7 minute song, that is 2 songs in my book, not one.

3) do not play favoritism games with the regulars.

4) strict rules on between song banter

keep this straight and the rest is simple...

• Members

If you have 3 hours, that works out at 12 x 15 min timeslots not including changeover. So 12 minutes each + 3 minute changeover? This is 3 pop songs... might be a good idea to figure out some way of doing a 2 minute warning to make sure things stay on track. Keeping strictly to the schedule means people may have a chance to sign up for a second set if not too busy.

• Members

Could you elaborate on #4? Are you talking about the performer or the Host?

...and sorry about coloring outside the lines on my original post. When I first saw your "editing" comment, I though it was going to be my insensitive date rape metaphor (I have been listening to too much stand up lately)

• Members

daddymack wrote:

sorry, unc, had to do some injudicious editing on your post...

Anyway, a couple of things to be careful about...

1) put people up in the order in which they signed up.

2) keep the song count/stage time consistent...if someone does a 7 minute song, that is 2 songs in my book, not one.

3) do not play favoritism games with the regulars.

4) strict rules on between song banter

keep this straight and the rest is simple...

I just subbed for someone at an afternoon jam that's been running for over twenty years. Your points ring very true to my ears.

During the jam I was at, there was a fellow waiting all afternoon to play. Near the end of the jam, where he was scheduled, the guest host put on some "fancy pants" jammers who bumped this guy out of his spot. I tried to intervene, but things were going down the tubes fast, and I didn't want to be guilty by association. The jilted jammer was sorely and loudly mad, and left in a huff - or maybe a rage. Paying attention to #1 and #2 would have averted the problem.

Might I also add #5 - Don't overbook the open mic. And if you're not sure whether someone will get on, tell them straight up, that they are on a standby list and might not get to perform. And tell them to check back with you - you can't be responsible for chasing them down with updates.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I use to run an open mic for a couple of years.  There is a fine line between getting people on and giving the crowd what they want.  I agree if someone signs up they should get on in the order they signed up.  But giving someone more time than two short songs that totally sucks and giving visiting talents two short songs is not the smartest thing in my opinion.  As it got later i tried to get some of the real talented people back on and usually could keep a lot of the people to closing and really thats what the owner wanted.  People staying there spending money and having a good time.

Just my two cents.

• Members

cappttenron wrote:

I use to run an open mic for a couple of years.  There is a fine line between getting people on and giving the crowd what they want.  I agree if someone signs up they should get on in the order they signed up.  But giving someone more time than two short songs that totally sucks and giving visiting talents two short songs is not the smartest thing in my opinion.  As it got later i tried to get some of the real talented people back on and usually could keep a lot of the people to closing and really thats what the owner wanted.  People staying there spending money and having a good time.

Just my two cents.

At the most recent open mic my band attended, we were waiting to go on and this guy gets up there. Les Paul Custom, 50 watt combo tube amp, etc. He proceeds to run a bunch of feedback out of the amp during his caterwauling. I liked it, but I like noise. He was yanked after one song. It's actually the only time I've seen anyone removed from the stage. :)

Archived