Remote Control to queue up songs when performing live

NowIWannaBeAGoodBoy

• Members

Hi there,

I'm a singer songwriter and solo, without a band. I will sing on stage using the backing tracks I produce.

I was wondering if there is some sort of remote control that I can use to manage the situation, play the next song when I finish the first, or to pause, little things like that.

I guess I will put those tracks on my iphone and I'd rather have a little remote control then going back and forth where my iphone is plugged.

Or if you know a better way to do it..

Cheers

• Members

Hey Good Boy, welcome to the group.

i would use OnSong app, to create a set list and associate the appropriate backing track to each one. Then I would use an Airturn pedal which works blue tooth and set one pedal to go to the next song and not play the BT or the other to play it. Should work a treat and put the control you require in your hands or feet 🙂

• Members

Hi

Add my endorsement to steve mac's reply.

I keep my iPad on a mic stand attachment and have stereo-mini-to-rca cables in various lengths depending on how far away the mixer is.

I have a setup to power the iPad, but my three-year-old iPad Air uses only about 70% of it's battery charge on a four-hour night, so most often there's only the audio and mic cables on the mic stand.

When I'm playing solo I don't use sets, but instead use the Book feature to show me a songlist that is weeded out to the songs I'm pretty sure I'll play night in and night out. However, my duo partner likes to use sets, and once you get a set loaded it's just a "swipe-left" to get to the next song.

• Members
Hey Good Boy, welcome to the group.

i would use OnSong app, to create a set list and associate the appropriate backing track to each one. Then I would use an Airturn pedal which works blue tooth and set one pedal to go to the next song and not play the BT or the other to play it. Should work a treat and put the control you require in your hands or feet 🙂

Airturn pedals are not very popular here in the UK. Are those page turner pedals the same thing?

Seen some remote controller on amazon but none of them really convinces me. They all have mixed reviews.

• Members
Hi

Add my endorsement to steve mac's reply.

I keep my iPad on a mic stand attachment and have stereo-mini-to-rca cables in various lengths depending on how far away the mixer is.

I have a setup to power the iPad, but my three-year-old iPad Air uses only about 70% of it's battery charge on a four-hour night, so most often there's only the audio and mic cables on the mic stand.

When I'm playing solo I don't use sets, but instead use the Book feature to show me a songlist that is weeded out to the songs I'm pretty sure I'll play night in and night out. However, my duo partner likes to use sets, and once you get a set loaded it's just a "swipe-left" to get to the next song.

So you swipe with your finger on the ipad rather than using any device like remote control or pedals?

• Members

Airturn pedals are not very popular here in the UK.

Well I'm from the UK and mine is popular with me 🙂. Don't really understand your issue with them, turn them on and they work. Far more professional than going back to your device and swiping after every song.

• Members

Yes. Once OnSong has linked a back track with the song (if you do not need lyrics, a "song" in OnSong doesn't need to be anything more than the title), there's a start button at the lower right. Tap it and the track starts.

If I'm not using a set, the list of available songs is alphabetically arranged in a column... scroll up or down to the song title, then three taps and the track starts. It's like shifting a stick-shift car, I don't even think about it any more.

• Members

Well I'm from the UK and mine is popular with me 🙂. Don't really understand your issue with them, turn them on and they work. Far more professional than going back to your device and swiping after every song.

I was considering these Donner Bluetooth Page Turner, they have better reviews on amazon and cost less..

They're mainly page turners but they might work to select the next songs..

• Members

Cool. What model do you have? And where did you buy it?

cheers

I have had a two pedal airturn for years, can't remember where from but definitely on-line. It's tiny , about the size of your hand, I set one pedal for moving to the next song in the set list and the other to start it scrolling which also plays any backing track associated with it.

You can see it on the top right of my old pedal board

6297817c6cf72d9c503cdbecefa7a885.jpg.46f39d41c31a71ee41955822cfe9bfa6.jpg

• Members

I have had a two pedal airturn for years, can't remember where from but definitely on-line. It's tiny , about the size of your hand, I set one pedal for moving to the next song in the set list and the other to start it scrolling which also plays any backing track associated with it.

You can see it on the top right of my old pedal board

Looks like the BT-106. It's about £80-90. Not to be funny but quite expensive for a pedal that does something so simple lol.

• Members

I don't make, or rather won't make sets, as every night is different. I have currently have 348 backing songs on my tablet (doesn't include my Xmas songs and songs out of rotation) and I have my tablet on my mic stand. I scroll with my finger. Might try the pedals, but that's might be too much foot t\stomping when I'm scrolling.

BTW for the last six months, I've been using the Mackie ProDX4 or sometimes the Mackie ProDX8 for my mixers (I bought both). I no longer need cables as the mixer accepts Blue Tooth. It's also handy to have the mixer platform right on my stand. Again no cables. I keep the mixer near my Bose or whatever I am using. I also just bought the Bose S1pro for small gigs, and as a back-up speaker. It has Bluetooth so in theory I don't even need a mixer.

I use Music Folder Player for my backing songs (in musician mode). Adjustable font. Songs can be auto stopped at the end, internal EQ, speed of tracks can be adjusted (carefully though) and so on. The best player I have found for my needs.

Happy pedaling!

Archived