loading time

pogo97

• Members

It takes me about 45 minutes to 1) pack up and organise my gear, 2) load into the van 3) get to the gig -- it's very close, 4) load into the gig and 5) set up.

I have a very simple setup: piano, piano stand, bench, powered speaker, mic, mic stand, books etc

It's about the same coming back.

That makes my three-hour gig take 4.5 hours.

Is this typical?

• Members

I use my gear to rehearse /practice at home so like you I have to tear down and put stuff in cases (15 mins), average to venue about ten to fifteen mins, set up about ten mins.

Guitar, pedalboard, mike, speaker, stands and cables. Oh and lately a stool.

• Members

It takes us an hour to set up, we allow an hour and a half just in case a cable fails or other trouble occurs.

It takes us about 45 minutes to tear down if we aren't visiting with audience members.

Sometimes I think of all the work and wonder if I should leave something home. Sax? No it's my #1. Wind synth? No it allows me to sound like so many other instruments. Guitar? It's my newest instrument, a lot of fun, and if you can't practice on stage, where CAN you practice :) Flute? Well it's so small I may as well bring it too.

Sometimes I wish I brought the bass or the keyboard.

Notes

• Moderators

depending on location [and thereby what PA rig], my solo setup is phased also by time of day and indoor/outdoor.

So a typical indoor/daytime/small area:

load up: about 5 minutes [2 acoustics, the FishStick, 1 mic stand, mic bag, stool[includes guitar stand], and pedal case.

Setup: about 20 minutes includes tuning 2 guitars, setting levels.

Tear down: about ten minutes, and two trips to the Rogue or the RX-8

Typical soiree in a larger room: Load up: about fifteen minutes: PA [ 2 powered Alto 10s, 2 stands, 16ch mixer{overkill but I sold the 4ch to finance the 16}, PA cable tote, 2 mic stands, monitor tote, StompLight rig, 2 acoustics [or one acoustic, one hollowbody], mic bag, stool and pedal case

Setup: minimum 35 minutes, typical 40 minutes

Teardown: about 20 minutes .

Load out: depending on parking situation, 7 trips to the Rogue, sometimes 8..

Outdoors daytime/evening: load up essentially the same as a larger room, [daytime: no StompLight]

Setup typically 45 minutes, usually due to AC power access issues and lack of level surfaces...[beaches worse...generator issues, etc.]

• Members

It's a duo night tonight, so 15 mins to load the car, almost an hour drive to the Steakloft, half hour setup (piano and guitar, small PA) barring a technical problem - 3 or maybe 4 hours playing, depending on how many diners turn into drinkers, half hour pack-n-schmooze (I pack, she schmoozes) then home. Yow! 4 to midnight.

But I get to hear her sing!

• Members

I didn't add in the Winter Tax, which adds at least ten minutes each way to put on warm clothes and felt packs, bring indoor shoes. Then brush off the car and shovel if needed. Loading in sometimes involves crossing snowbanks and you can't really put anything down because that gets snow on them. Then there's getting stuck in the un-cleared parking space at the gig.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_1682.JPG","data-attachmentid":32161845}[/ATTACH]

• Members

if its a flute gig, 12 flutes, amp, mics, etc, about 15 minutes. , one trip from the trailer and still one free hand...

if its a festival gong gig, it can take two people almost 6 hours from opening the trailer to sitting down to play... depending upon which rig we are running... i allow about an hour for setting up drum circles...

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I allow a half hour to get my equipment rolled into the venue and get it set up. It can be done in 15 minutes but I allow extra time in case of possible technical problems. The exception is places with long logistics - parking lots, long hallways etc.

When I DJ events set up time allotted is 2 hours, 1 hour to tear down. A lot more equipment!

• Members

Tear down/pack: 20

drive time: 45

setup: 20

play: two - three hours

same in reverse . . . so roughly 5 - 6 hours total.

And I can't hardly get a gig, because I'm too old, dated repertoire, play funny chords, "from away", etc.

And I'm comfortably retired, so why go to so much trouble just to hear a couple people to tell me how much they like what I'm doing?

This is ridiculous.

• Members

If you aren't having fun while performing, there is no sense in doing it. They call it PLAYing music for a reason.

The work is schlepping gear, learning new songs, being the band salesman, and so on, but the hours on stage with your instrument(s) in your hand and/or your face on the mic should be pure bliss. If not, the associated work isn't worth it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it :D

Archived