Need longer legs (purchase of new firebox means new pedalboard)

steve mac

• Members

I recently acquired an Atomic Firebox pedal and as well as an improved sound, it means I need a lot smaller pedal board ( I can hear my back applauding).

My intention is just to cut down my IKEA homemade effort, I reckon by half, but I also have decided to perform sitting from now on and somehow need to raise the board but without adding back the weight I have saved. With limited diy skills has anyone faced similar issues and found an easy solution?

Cheers Steve

• Members

I don't know how small "smaller" is, but I once made a pretty nice pedal board by going to Salvation Army and picking up a sturdy used briefcase, replacing the hinges with latches, and using the case upside down, mounting the pedals to what was the lid, and the deep part became the cover?

sk

• Members

Unfortunately that rig went to its resting place without a picture. Nowadays I'm using a Line6 Podxt Live, and I like it so much I get goofy about it. Both of my full bands have gone to a "no amps" stage plot and I don't miss carrying those amps at all. (One of those bands is a 60s show band and we were each carrying a Vox SuperBeatle cab and head, tilting rack and all - whew!)

One thing I was thinking about your original post was that no matter how you work raising the back of the pedalboard to make it "sitting-friendly", the big problem is going to be the tendency for the board to walk away from you when you push the buttons (the pressure needed to kick in a CryBaby Wah, yipes!)

But what occurred to me was seeing the gizmo cellists use to anchor the foot of the cello to a leg of their chair...

• Members

I don't know your space constraints, or how high you want your pedals, but maybe one of those plastic step stools would work. Perhaps you know the kind I mean. They are pretty useless as a stool, unless you're a litigation lawyer, but they might work for your needs. They sit about a foot or so off the ground, usually have a rubber top, maybe non stick feet as well.

If you've got a small pedal(s), you might also be able to use those foot stools for Classical guitarists. Or maybe you'll need something for both feet, so that you're not off balance. One of the reasons I don't sit, is that when I did, my back would get sore from being out of alignment when I worked my pedals - YMMV.

• Members

Thanks for the input, I have looked and it's no problem me getting the Roadrunner bag but not sure how that would raise it. With regard to using a drawer etc, it's just one more thing to carry. I fancy this year just taking an offered residency and so could perhaps just leave a plinth of some sort at the venue. I was hoping for some Heath-Robinson type device. Cheers Steve

• Members

Dunno what's available where you are but here in the States hardware stores sell premade "legs" for tables, nightstands and such, in various lengths, along with hardware to attach them. They just screw on and off once the mounting hardware is in place.

• Members

I considered that mate ( even thought of retro 70s platform boots 😅) but the stool I got doesn't have adjustments and I really like that it gives me a head height comenserate with being stood. I don't often work where there is a stage so I don't want to get "lost" visually.

Archived