App for ipad - does it exist?

Bob Dey

• Members

Does anyone remember when itunes had the option of making the artwork (album cover) full size? I have an older version of itunes on my laptop that still has this option and it's what I use when doing gigs. I put lyrics (jpg format) in the artwork field of my backing tracks. It works great because the lyrics pop up in the same program - itunes.

I'd like the ability to do the same thing with an ipad but there doesn't seem to be an app that has that option. I make out my own lyric files that and make them very readable. I tried one app a couple of years ago that looked promising but the lyrics only used 1/4 of the screen with a small point size.

• Members

Hi Bob,

The best combination lyric/backtrack player I have ever worked with is OnSong. In addition to displaying the lyrics and playing the tracks, it's ability to organize sets and subdivide your "all songs" collection into smaller collections (they call them "books") is just amazing. I don't want to come off sounding like a shill for OnSong, I'm just a user, but this program is AMAZING.

• Members

That said, Bob Dey, your idea of using the album art feature of iTunes for lyrics is pretty brilliant.

When I first started using tracks i used a combination of a paper notebook for lyrics and a Mac SE30. (Yes, an SE30 on stage) playing sequences through a Roland MT-32.

• Members

It's just so much more than that though isn't it. I have all my songs memorized but hand me a guitar and ask my to play a song and I instantly forget every one I have ever known, plus I use it to play break music, keep track of what songs I did at certain venues and when so I don't do the same old. Group all the Christmas , St Pats etc together. I just can't imagine being with out it. I even use it to store bar owners and staff names.

• Members

I feel quite badly about my memory deficit... Nowadays I sometimes go blank on the old songs that I HAD memorized for twenty years and more if I don't have the security blanket of the lyrics on the iPad right there at hand.

I've got three parts of my body racing to kill me, my brain, my prostate and my heart. I hope my heart wins!

• Members

Yes, I at least need a list of songs I do in front of me. I don't know how many times I've sat in with a band and drawn a blank on what song to do. I usually resort to Folsum Prison because it's the only thing that pops in my mind that I'm sure the musicians know.

What goes wrong with reading the lyrics is I sometimes start singing the wrong line!

Archived