No announcement yet.

Good Luck! Notes!

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Luck! Notes!

I imagine you're banging plywood over the windows today. Best wishes to you and all the other South Floridians here.
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. Arthur Schopenhauer (1788 - 1860)

Absolutely, keep your heads down, much love from me and Mrs. Mac
    Cheers Steve

Comment

I sincerely hope all our Floridians have already evacuated! The roads look pretty bad...
      "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
      "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

Thanks for the well wishes, and I extend them to my neighbors.

No plywood - storm awnings and shutters. Everything is up except for dropping a few of the awnings (about one minute work each). I keep them up for air until it starts getting windy

I wouldn't live in a house without storm protection. The first thing I did when I bought this house is put up the shutters and fix anything that needed attention. It's cheap insurance. I always wonder why people use plywood and wait until the last minute to prepare. Buying storm shutters out of season is cheap and you can use them storm after storm after storm. Drop the awnings, twist the wingnuts, put up the panels, twist more wingnuts and it's done. Takes about an hour at a leisurely pace.

I collect cheap jug wine bottles from condominium gigs and they are washed out and filled with water. Non perishable food is stored, generator works, I got gas early (if the storm passes, it'll go in the car), wine bottles are on the counter, yard debris cleared, gutters cleaned, and so on.

When I bought this house, I chose one built in 1950 before the developers bribed the government to water down the building codes. It's seen a few. I also chose it on high ground - 32' above sea level, which is a mountain around here. I know better than to buy on 'reclaimed' swamp land. No Houston or NOLA type flood for me. I've been in Florida since 1957 and followed my parent's example.

I've survived hurricanes since 1960, and although there is no guarantee, I'm probably much safer here than on I-95 in my car. And if a minor breach happens, I'm here to protect my music gear.

Unfortunately my weekend gigs were cancelled - big bummer - and after the storm hits there will be a giant clean-up. In the last two hurricanes that I had around here, we were without power for 10 days each. That's almost as bad as losing gigs.

No, I'm not taking it lightly, just calmly. I'm probably over-prepared, but by doing it early, I don't have to fight lines and pay exorbitant prices. It's just life here in Florida.

The people who fare the worst are those on the water, and on reclaimed swamp land. I don't understand why people would build their homes there. But I don't understand a lot of things.

It looks like we are going to miss the most severe part of the storm. A few days ago it looked like Ft. Pierce was going to have a direct hit - Cat 4. Now I don't think I'll see more than 120mph sustained winds and I used to drive my Fiat Spyder faster than that -- we've seen that before and I guess it's time to prune the trees.

Good luck to all my friends in the path.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton
        Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com
        Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box
        The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Comment

Glad you are not in te hdirect path, Notes, and you sound reasonably well-prepared
          I'm guessing Frailer is evac'd or hunkered down, and Sven, and Voltan...[Voltan probably had to build an Ark...]
          "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
          "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

My father-in-law is in St. Kitts, which was toward the edge of the storm. We called ahead of the hurricane and he was in good shape -- he grew up there, he knows what to do. We haven't reached him since, though. The phones could be out for weeks. Life goes on.
            Last edited by pogo97; 09-08-2017, 07:10 PM.
            All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. Arthur Schopenhauer (1788 - 1860)

Comment

phones, power, drinking water...they say in Puerto Rico it could be months before they get electricity!

Comment

Here I sit all boarded up
                With Irma at my door

It's Saturday I should be gigging
                Man, that makes me sore

With wind and rain I still have power
                So I'm on the forum at this hour

I'm waiting for this thing to end
                And then the cleanup will begin.

Lame "poetry" by Notes
                Bob "Notes" Norton

Comment

Originally posted by Notes_Norton View Post

Am
                  Here I sit all boarded up
                  G
                  With Irma at my door
                  F
                  It's Saturday I should be gigging
                  E7
                  Man, that makes me sore

With wind and rain I still have power
                  So I'm on the forum at this hour
                  I'm waiting for this thing to end
                  And then the cleanup will begin.

Lame "poetry" by Notes
                  to the tune of "Runaway."

(the G should be over "Irma" and the F over "Sat" but, you know, html)
                  Last edited by pogo97; 09-09-2017, 07:45 PM.

Comment

• Notes_Norton
                    Notes_Norton commented
                    Editing a comment
                    And I sang along - thanks!!!

Originally posted by Notes_Norton View Post
                  ......and I used to drive my Fiat Spyder faster than that -- we've seen that before and I guess it's time to prune the trees.

Good luck to all my friends in the path.

Notes
                  hahaha, small point but the Fiat Spider was with an i not a y (as in the Porsche Spyder form the 50's)

https://soundcloud.com/miden-entertainment

Comment

• Notes_Norton
                    Notes_Norton commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ah yes, Spyder, and it went 140mph, but I never took it over 135 as the tach yellow lined there.

I got a ticket on I-95 and I told the judge it was in a safe zone, nobody on the road and I went up and took it right back down.

The police said the airplane that clocked me said it looked like I put the afterburners on and then slowed it down.

Total fine $35 for court costs. I guess the judge wished he had a little red spyder.

Very windy, rainy, some tree limbs down, house is secure, power going on and off, but nothing this house hasn't weathered before. Fortunately, I'm on the east coast of FL and the storm is drifting to the west coast. We'll probably see nothing higher than Cat 1 wind speed here. The people in Tampa won't be so lucky, and I really feel for Key West as Irma has been sitting there way too long.

Little tornadoes have been spawned, but I'm not in a tornado prone area. They seem to like big flat spots like airports and mobile home parks.

So I'm working putting the finishing touches on 6 new "Fake Disks" that I'll be releasing for Band-in-a-Box later this month.

I'll keep you posted as long as I have power.

And I wish all in Irma's path will get through this storm safely.

Notes
                  Last edited by Notes_Norton; 09-10-2017, 07:47 AM.
                  Bob "Notes" Norton

Comment

Hey Notes, glad that it's "so far so good" for you. Best wishes for you and yours, and for all the folks in your neck of the woods.

Comment

Checking in.

No property damage - no injuries, and we are well,. Lots of medium sized tree limbs down, we lost power and still don't have it - I'm running on a generator, and the phone/DSL goes in and out. It's on now (obviously).

Our strongest winds were only 100mph and this house has seen much worse. We cleaned up the yard, raised the storm awnings and took all the storm panels down but one window. We'll wait until we get power becuase it filters out hot sun.

We lost gigs, and that's the worst part. Now patiently waiting for the power to come back on.

Notes
                      Bob "Notes" Norton

Comment

Glad to hear it.

I'll say this about not having power: it's quiet. Quiet in a way that's rare now.

Of course, there *may* be chainsaws....
                        Last edited by pogo97; 09-13-2017, 08:05 PM.

Comment

We have the constant hum of somebody's generator. At times it's our own.

Bob "Notes" Norton

Comment

• pogo97
                            pogo97 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            *sigh*

I'd forgotten about generators. My town was caught in a major ice storm (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Januar...ican_ice_storm) and many people now have generators. Last time the power went out, there was about fifteen minutes of silence, then the generators came on and then people with gas mowers started mowing their lawns.

We are not a quiet species.
                        Working...
                        X