Booking Websites?

FloridaFrailer

• Members

Last winter, I subscribed to an online music booking site. I was hoping to pick up a gig or two while I was traveling in south Florida. Long story short, I did book a single gig from them. It was singing a love song to someone's fiancé on Valentines Day. One song... $50. Not too bad except... the online booking site charged me $20 bucks for getting the gig... on top of their membership fee.

Left a pretty foul taste for online booking sites.

Found out later that the "leads" that were provided didn't necessarily meant that the prospective clients actually saw, or chose my profile. It turns out anytime anyone inquires about ANY of the talent, they show up as "leads" on several other perfumers pages.

Anyone have any positive experience with them?

• Members

I did manage to get a gig BECAUSE I was listed, but NOT through the site. I had a booker out of Boston hire us to play the grand opening of a grocery store. They said they saw our listing on one of these sites, but contacted us directly. This was while I had the free listing, before I actually "subscribed".

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

We have been on Gigmasters for years. Have a lot of great reviews. Played the game. It was very good for us for a long time. You're right. It all seemed to change after they got bought out by Wedding Wire, but I'm not sure why. Maybe people are not doing random searches for bands on the internet like they used to? I dunno.

We have all but dumped it at this point. Relying on local booking agents much more.

• Members

I'm very happy to pay booking agencies their fees for finding us work.

The problem is around here the same for agencies and booking websites, neither one has enough gigs to keep any band working steadily. There are gigs here, but the area is small enough for word of mouth and there seems to be an aversion for booking through a third party.

So I suppose it all depends on your area.

Most of our gigs are either repeat business or word of mouth referrals. I don't do many cold calls. One agent that used to feed us work died, the other still gives us a few gigs from time to time, and they are usually good ones, but she doesn't have enough to keep any of her bands working all the time (she does the best she can though).

Notes

Archived