No announcement yet.

Booking Websites?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booking Websites?

Last winter, I subscribed to an online music booking site. I was hoping to pick up a gig or two while I was traveling in south Florida. Long story short, I did book a single gig from them. It was singing a love song to someone's fiancé on Valentines Day. One song... $50. Not too bad except... the online booking site charged me $20 bucks for getting the gig... on top of their membership fee.

Left a pretty foul taste for online booking sites.

Found out later that the "leads" that were provided didn't necessarily meant that the prospective clients actually saw, or chose my profile. It turns out anytime anyone inquires about ANY of the talent, they show up as "leads" on several other perfumers pages.

Anyone have any positive experience with them?

nope...3 years with gig salad and have never been booked.
    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
    "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

I did manage to get a gig BECAUSE I was listed, but NOT through the site. I had a booker out of Boston hire us to play the grand opening of a grocery store. They said they saw our listing on one of these sites, but contacted us directly. This was while I had the free listing, before I actually "subscribed".

Comment

I've been a freebie on Gig Salad for a few years, and I've gotten one gig through them. Definitely not enough to warrant an upgrade to the "pay" level.

But to be fair, I'm not in a large, high demand market.

Insights and incites by Notes
        Bob "Notes" Norton
        Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com
        Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box
        The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Comment

Never had any luck to speak of with Gig Salad. Gigmasters used to be a major source of gigs for my band but has been next to useless the last couple of years. Not sure why the change.

Comment

I dumped gigmasters this year. It seems to be good for those that joined over 10 years ago and have played the game. A lot of that is getting clients to give great reviews. GM has also changed since they got bought out by weddingwire.
            BD

Comment

All I get from Gigmasters lately is ads to upgrade. If they were getting me enough gigs to make it worth my while, I'd upgrade, but until then, I'll keep the free account.

Notes
              Bob "Notes" Norton

Comment

• Bob Dey
                Bob Dey commented
                Editing a comment
                I didn't know Gigmasters had a free account. I've been paying since 2011.

• Notes_Norton
                Notes_Norton commented
                Editing a comment
                Oops! Make that Gig Salad. Not a typo - just a screw up. Sorry.

We have been on Gigmasters for years. Have a lot of great reviews. Played the game. It was very good for us for a long time. You're right. It all seemed to change after they got bought out by Wedding Wire, but I'm not sure why. Maybe people are not doing random searches for bands on the internet like they used to? I dunno.

We have all but dumped it at this point. Relying on local booking agents much more.

Comment

I'm very happy to pay booking agencies their fees for finding us work.

The problem is around here the same for agencies and booking websites, neither one has enough gigs to keep any band working steadily. There are gigs here, but the area is small enough for word of mouth and there seems to be an aversion for booking through a third party.

So I suppose it all depends on your area.

Most of our gigs are either repeat business or word of mouth referrals. I don't do many cold calls. One agent that used to feed us work died, the other still gives us a few gigs from time to time, and they are usually good ones, but she doesn't have enough to keep any of her bands working all the time (she does the best she can though).

Notes
                Bob "Notes" Norton

Comment

Is Wedding Wire the one Mr. Wonderful from Sharktank owns?
                  "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
                  "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

Working...
                  X