Taking an extended break

msmooth

• Members

Try four decades.

Not counting 20th and 25th HS reunion. . . .

I know you aren't considering anything near that long, but even after just a couple of years, you may see a change in the music and/or a change in the gigging landscape. In my case, of course, it was dramatic.

• Moderators

I took close to ten years off from gigging while I worked on my degree at night school. I still played at home, but strictly for fun, and certainly not daily. I was also doing sound on weekends in Hollywood, Chinatown, Santa Monica....so I was able to keep up with the 'scene'.

My first public 'return' gig was at my graduation party where a number of my old band mates showed up, set up, handed me a guitar and said 'play, dammit!'...that was 1986...

• Members

I didn't gig at all from 1993-1996 and again from 1997-2000.

Keyboard & computer technology changed a lot during those years, so that was an adjustment getting back into it.

Gigged pretty much nonstop with bands from 1977-1993 (5-6 nights a week for most of the 80s), did a duo for 5-6 nights a week for that 96/97 year and then it's been the corp/wedding band thing a couple times a month from 2001 to now.

As much as I love gigging it was weird how much I DIDN'T miss it during those two breaks. Just where my head was at at the time, I suppose. I certainly could have gigged if I really wanted to.

• Members

As much as I love gigging it was weird how much I DIDN'T miss it during those two breaks. Just where my head was at at the time, I suppose. I certainly could have gigged if I really wanted to.

Yep, if you're fully into what you're doing at the time, you don't miss what you're not doing. Doesn't help the "music career" much, though.

• Members

Yep, if you're fully into what you're doing at the time, you don't miss what you're not doing. Doesn't help the "music career" much, though.

Very true. Had I not stopped playing in 1993 and stayed in Las Vegas where I was living at the time (the city was just starting to REALLY boom just then) I very likely could have had a completely different music career.

OTHO, I might have been dead by 2000 had I stayed there so.......sometimes things work out for the best.

• Moderators

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness-Alan Ginsberg

I was knee deep [actually neck deep, to be more accurate...] in the madness of the punk/new wave era in LA, up to the 'rock resurgence', doing sound. After 1986, I was back gigging. In '91, I stopped the band thing, got offers for small time session/demo work, and wrote and recorded in my home studio until '95, then had the itch to front my own band [something I'd not done since I went back to college at night].

And bingo, in under three years we were opening for national acts...playing big stages...gave up club work.

• Members

Hurt my index finger 4 months ago and have hardly picked up a guitar since, where I work is seasonal so I have had to write off the year basically and cancel contracted gigs. Frustration isn't the word.

I am considering doing a bit of stand up just to get back in the game.

• Members
Hurt my index finger 4 months ago and have hardly picked up a guitar since, where I work is seasonal so I have had to write off the year basically and cancel contracted gigs. Frustration isn't the word.

I hear ya on the seasonal thing. Our gigs are most definitely that. I guess that could count as a break, but I usually use the downtime to develop new music and work on EP's.

• Moderators

Sorry to hear that your finger injury is still an issue, Steve. Pain hurts...

When I dislocated my left forefinger, I had 10 days before I had to get back to gigging weekly...maybe it is time to work on some open tunings and some bottleneck... :wave:

• Members

Sorry about my reply. I'm old school - back when gigging meant playing at least two nights a week. All I can say is if the break is too long you might start to forget words or chords to songs.

I do best when I have two gigs in one day. By the time I get to the second gig I'm really warmed up!

• Members

I took a break from full Time gigging Jan 2010-Dec. 2014. Almost 5 years. Now, I did some gigs in Alaska a couple of summers and a 34 day cruise ship run in Europe Summer 2013. So about 50 gigs in 5 years. I had done an average of maybe 200 a year the previous 20 years.

I was TOAST by the time I took a break and I never once missed playing covers. Did the Nashville writing/writers rounds thing for 4 years with my own material and scratched that itch. Moved to FL and began gigging again Dec 2014. Averaging 140 gigs a year and on pace for the same this year. Working for a lot more $$ less number of gigs which Is great and so hope to keep that trend going! Ultimate goal in 4 1/2 years when I'm 50 would be playing 1-2 gigs a week just playing in the Tributes I want to, with my bands playing 5 gigs a week on average. Hoping to be retired from solo acoustic gigs after 2018.

Archived