Can I do this with an iPad?

Telecruiser

• Members

I am looking at buying a new iPad. I have a Voicelive 3 and a recently acquired Beat Buddy. What I would like to do is have a song list on an iPad and be able to just select a song on the touch screen and it automatically selects the correct patches on the VL3 and BB. Possible?

• Members

Yep, Unrealbook and Onsong Chart reader apps have this capability. You can select what MIDI commands (including sysex) to auto send when a chart is loaded. In the case of Unrealbook (my app of choice) it has the further option of creating "hotspot buttons" that can be placed anywhere in the chart and these can have MIDI commands as well. So, for example, you want to change patches half way through a song. Not sure if Onsong can do this but I wouldn't be surprised if it could.

Of course you need either a CCK, or something like the IK Multimedia iRig MIDI device or similar to connect the app to the external MIDI device.

• Members

When I was using midi files for my tracks, I had my guitar patches, my keyboard patches and once in a while lighting patches embedded in my files. Eventually I found it irritating to have things change automatically. Sometimes I wanted a a clean guitar sound but a dirty patch would come up, and so on. I eventually went back to doing everything manually, just to have the freedom. The other problem is that it takes time to embed these commands - and if you don't get them right the first time, you're doing a revision. If you've only got a few songs (30 or 40), I guess it might not be too bad.

I like the idea of the "hot button" mentioned. I myself went to pedals like the midi mouse to control things.

• Members

Way back before ipads and such I applied a few MIDI commands on a couple of songs. The only thing I remember was changing the effect on an alesis midiverb at certain points of songs. It was pretty cool to have that happen without using a footswitch. I was using a synth with an on board sequencer to send the MIDI messages.

The only thing I've used an ipad for is lyrics. And that's only when I'm playing with a band.

• Members

Hey, sorry about that I missed the PM notification. It is sent to you now :)

Pages 68 and 26 are what you are looking for. 68 for MIDI to be sent at the load of a chart, 26 for the Transmog button where you can send a MIDI command at any time.

The screen on 68 has changed a bit and is easier to use now, and also adds an option to use 0 based or 1 based numbering (ie 0-127 or 1-128)

• Members
Hey, sorry about that I missed the PM notification. It is sent to you now :)

Pages 68 and 26 are what you are looking for. 68 for MIDI to be sent at the load of a chart, 26 for the Transmog button where you can send a MIDI command at any time.

The screen on 68 has changed a bit and is easier to use now, and also adds an option to use 0 based or 1 based numbering (ie 0-127 or 1-128)

I have not received the manual. How did you send it? Attached .pdf?

• Members
Another program 'Set List' does this.

I am assuming you mean "Setlists". I downloaded the manual and while I was printing it I perused it for the term "MIDI". Didn't find it but once I have the manual assembled I'll take it home and have a closer look.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

They changed the name to Setlist Maker. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/set-list-maker/id410496349?mt=8

YOUR COMMAND CENTER ON STAGE

Set List Maker can display your lyrics with simple auto-scrolling or custom automation tracks,* play backing tracks and click tracks through separate audio ports or inter-app audio,* play videos,* and configure MIDI-compatible sound and lighting equipment as you move from song to song.* You can control Set List Maker with MIDI* or Bluetooth footswitches, and link together multiple devices for screen sharing or remote control on stage.*

It runs on Android too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks again

BTW, if you do end up getting UnRealbook PM me and I'll help you out with some how to's :) I've been using it for a long time now! I also have OnSong and others, but for simplicity and solid stage use, I really cannot go past it. Anyhoo, let me know how you get on and what you decide :)

Cheers and good luck

Dennis

Archived