Percussion sounds for duo of guitar and bass?

BluesCam

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't use any percussion (tracks instead) but the other day, I saw a keyboard player using a stomp box through his PA and it really added to his sound. He didn't use it on every song, just here and there. Assuming you can play it relatively in time, it seems to round out the low end nicely.

• Members

I used a beat root stomp box that has a piezo at both ends that each give differing tones, I attached a tambourine with elastic to one end and found the piezo picked it up, at the board I eqd to taste and it did sound good. However I found foot/leg ache meant I could only play for part of a song. http://beat-root.co.uk

So, I started using percussive techniques on the guitar into a looper and sometimes combining with some simple beat boxing and this worked quite well.

However, I have now decided I am going to start playing sat on a stool and will try the stomp box again to see if this takes some of the pain away.

• Moderators

Honestly, I was skeptical of the Beat Buddy when I bought it, having been recently burned with the TRIO, but it's turned out to be one of the best purchases ever.

Do you have the outboard switch box? That was the game-changer for me.

We here in Solos and Duos actually had some input in the final design, like the larger display, midi interface, a few other things...I was an early adopter, in on the crowd funding...

I was mildly curious about the original TRIO, but after trying one out at GC, it just seemed to be very limited, and let's say 'dull sounding'. For home practice, maybe some value, but for performance enhancement...meh. I have not tried the newer version, but I wouldn't expect too much.

If they can synthesize vocal harmonies based on the guitar chord being played in a harmonizer, why they couldn't synthesize a more interesting bass pattern based on the chord in the TRIO...?

• Members

Do you have the outboard switch box? That was the game-changer for me.

We here in Solos and Duos actually had some input in the final design, like the larger display, midi interface, a few other things...I was an early adopter, in on the crowd funding...

I do! It's critical for playing live. I have it programmed to scroll through my songs when it's not playing, right switch pauses play for songs with breaks or songs that need to stop without an outro fill, and left switch will return to stop from pause. Also, during play, left button will outro fill. Things like the midi sync are so great, I have my delay and VoiceLive 3 timed with it. It took a firmware update on the VoiceLive 3 to handle 6/8, but that was TC Helicon's problem.

I was mildly curious about the original TRIO, but after trying one out at GC, it just seemed to be very limited, and let's say 'dull sounding'. For home practice, maybe some value, but for performance enhancement...meh. I have not tried the newer version, but I wouldn't expect too much.

It was missing a whole lot, and you never really did know what you were going to get out of it. I asked Digitech about a few obvious things it was missing, and they pretty rudely told me it was a practice device, and the features I was asking for were geared for playing live. A few months later, the TRIO+ came out with most of the features I was asking about. You couldn't give away the original TRIO at that point.

If they can synthesize vocal harmonies based on the guitar chord being played in a harmonizer, why they couldn't synthesize a more interesting bass pattern based on the chord in the TRIO...?

I think their real issue is in the detection. You never knew if the TRIO's drummer was going to show up sober, or on some kind of psychadelic... You could input the same progression, with the same rhythm 10 times, it would give you everything from a spastic 4 year old to a solid drummer. The Beat Buddy is great, every time. I've bought a few of the premium libraries and have not been disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Sorry for hijacking this thread. I have posted mostly in the Live Sound forum here. I currently play in a trio (guitar, bass and singer). We would like to add some kind of drum backing track to our songs. We are thinking about using LiveTrax but we would like to know where we can find good drum backing tracks to use for our songs? We play a variety of songs for example, Michael Buble, Marshall Tucker Band, Journey, Beatles, 4 Non Blondes to name a few. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

• Members
Sorry for hijacking this thread. I have posted mostly in the Live Sound forum here. I currently play in a trio (guitar, bass and singer). We would like to add some kind of drum backing track to our songs. We are thinking about using LiveTrax but we would like to know where we can find good drum backing tracks to use for our songs? We play a variety of songs for example, Michael Buble, Marshall Tucker Band, Journey, Beatles, 4 Non Blondes to name a few. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Again, I'd strongly suggest the Beat Buddy.

• Members

seems highly unpopular around here but have any of you ever heard of hiring a real drummer? not for nothing but there isnt anything you can do with a stompbox that can even come close to approximating the nuances and soul a real musician can impart to your music. period. you want to sound like a canned band? i sure dont... karaoke anyone?

• Members
seems highly unpopular around here but have any of you ever heard of hiring a real drummer?

Sure and while I am at it I will hire a couple of backing singers and ditch the harmonizer, oh and maybe get rid of the looper and employ a lead gutarist and bass player. Hang on then I would be in a band and be splitting the money 4 or 5 ways.

Sorry but whilst you are of course correct there is no substitute for the real thing, I think from a practical point of view being a "one man band" is for many the way forward. Although I agree it's a fine line between that and simply sticking on a backing track.

As an aside I am currently holidaying in Liverpool UK one of the live music capitals of the world. We went into one pub where a solo singer/ guitarist was doing his thing, after a couple of songs he put his guitar away and started singing to full backing tracks, two minutes later we were out of there. So in my mind it's not clear cut.

Much love V.

Cheers Steve

• Moderators
seems highly unpopular around here but have any of you ever heard of hiring a real drummer? not for nothing but there isnt anything you can do with a stompbox that can even come close to approximating the nuances and soul a real musician can impart to your music. period. you want to sound like a canned band? i sure dont... karaoke anyone?

Yes, we have, but many places don't have room, some places require a special license to have live drums, and there is always the pesky 'paying that guy' thing. Not to mention the volume issues...:wave:

So we should not take gigs in small rooms because we can't put a three, four, five or 7 or 9 piece band in there to sound 'real'? :facepalm:

Even having a guy on a cajon, after a few songs, the sound of a cajon gets tedious. I tried that ...once.

To be frank, though, I had stopped using the BeatBuddy almost entirely, reduced my harmonizer and looper use drastically and went back to mainly just playing guitar and singing...easier, more natural...same money...why bother?

• Members

It would be awesome if venues were willing to pay for it, and there were skilled, reliable, professional drummers available to play the gig in the most remote place in the entire world. And don't get me started on mainland bookings that already barely cover, or don't cover the flights for two people. Let's just add another headcount to that boost our travel expenses by another third. Brilliant idea!

Archived