How many using vocal harmonizers and what kind?

Telecruiser

• Members

I bought the TC Helicon Voice live GTX when it first came out years ago and last year moved to the Playacoustic mainly for the Bodyrez feature.

I did consider the VL 3 but as I use two leads out of my hybrid guitar one mag one piezo and therefore need two inputs it was simply to big and complicated for my needs. Looks a great bit of kit though.

• Members

I moved from a PlayAcoustic to a VL3 for a few of reasons. First, the PlayAcoustic *only* has XLR outs. That meant I had to use a line leveling transformer. Second, there is no bypass, you have to basically create an dry preset and switch to it. Third, midi tempo sync. Sadly, in the year and change that I've had the VL3, it's been back for repair twice. The last time it died, it was during sound check for our most important gig of the year. Overall, I love the VL3. I rely on the BodyRez to fill out the acoustic tone on my T5z. The vocal effects are great once they're dialed in.

• Moderators

I gave up my 'big' harmonizer [well, I still have it...] and went with a TC H1, mainly to reduce clutter on stage. Now, I'm not doing any solo work, and the H1 was a bit of a disappointment sound wise...I don't want to deal with all the extra bells and whistles, it took me weeks to figure out how to get all the chorus etc. off my guitar from my Digitech Vocalist Live 4. And honestly 90% of the vocal settings were pointless. Most of the time all I wanted was a second harmony voice, like the Everly Brothers sound, and the H1 does that for me. I found the multiple harmonies, like 'Eagles' 4 part was too over the top when only I was standing there...

• Members
I gave up my 'big' harmonizer [well' date= I still have it...] and went with a TC H1, mainly to reduce clutter on stage. Now, I'm not doing any solo work, and the H1 was a bit of a disappointment sound wise...I don't want to deal with all the extra bells and whistles, it took me weeks to figure out how to get all the chorus etc. off my guitar from my Digitech Vocalist Live 4. And honestly 90% of the vocal settings were pointless. Most of the time all I wanted was a second harmony voice, like the Everly Brothers sound, and the H1 does that for me. I found the multiple harmonies, like 'Eagles' 4 part was too over the top when only I was standing there...

I hear ya! Even playing with a band, I just tend to use a rolled back high harmony, and maybe a double if I really need to embiggen a chorus. Having a HoF reverb circuit available for the vox is nice, especially playing large outdoor settings.

• Members
...I don't want to deal with all the extra bells and whistles' date=' it took me weeks to figure out how to get all the chorus etc. off my guitar from my Digitech Vocalist Live 4. And honestly 90% of the vocal settings were pointless....[/quote']

Yeah, that's something I'll have to be careful about. Though the VL3 has a load of capabilities I'm just looking for one and maybe two part harmonies as well as some doubling. I have thought of trying to pull off the Eagles version of "Seven Bridges Road" though. We'll see. :lol:

• Members

Yeah, that's something I'll have to be careful about. Though the VL3 has a load of capabilities I'm just looking for one and maybe two part harmonies as well as some doubling. I have thought of trying to pull off the Eagles version of "Seven Bridges Road" though. We'll see. :lol:

The nice thing about the VL3 is that it's pretty darned simple to pull effects off either the guitar or the vocal chain, and you can assign the hit on the vocal chain to be whatever you want, including just doubling and/or whatever harmony you choose.

I'd be surprised if there weren't already a preset for Eagles stuff.

Archived