Advice on placement of fishman SA330

Loganasbury

• Members

Behind but off to the side about 4-6ft or beside you about 3-6 ft and just enough back as to be able to hear yourself. Being directly in front of it is never a good idea. I have a TurboSound iP1000 and its similar to the 330 but more watts and a subwoofer. Being in front of it is a recipe for deafness. That baby projects. When I use it I put it about 5ft behind me and 4 ft to the left. I have also used it with a 4 piece band as one of the mains. The iP1000 on one side same position from me and a jbl eon610 on the other side. I used that last configuration last Saturday playing outdoors. The SA330 is similar in they both are column speakers. My friend has the Bose Compact same thing, never be directly in front of it.

• Moderators

Agreed, I typically set mine about three feet back and two to three feet to my left [or right depending on room, space, etc.]. I also sometimes use a powered monitor if I think the room is big enough to where I need to crank the FishStick to where I don't want it blaring in my ear or feeding back [rarely happens], and will place it like a FOH .

mine is the older SA220, but the principle is the same.

• Members

Agree with both above, although in my case I'm talking about the various Bose towers. Not sure how the Fishman works, but I even like to get the rig four or even five feet away. I find if I'm too close, I'm too quiet. Of course if you're going for quiet then close is good.

Again, talking only about the Bose, I have found that if I'm loud enough to get feedback, then I'm loud enough to use speakers that are more heavy duty. Having said that, using the Fishmanr in the traditional FOH position, and then using a monitor, will allow you to keep the same sound. Pretty handy if you've got it dialed in just right.

Archived