I must be getting old, my agent retired!

Shaster

• Members

Looks like I've lost a valuable business connection. The agent I used for my solo and duo gigs has sold the biz. Man does time fly. I'm still getting gigs from the agency, but I can see the writing on the wall - and it says, man buns required. I do know the other folks working there but I had a rapport with my agent that I don't quite have with the others. I guess I've been pretty insulated the last few years. Looks like it's a jungle out there, and I'm wondering if I really want to get back in the battle. Oh well, not so easy come, easy go.

Okay, the tiny violin players can take a break - pity party is over...

• Moderators

Stick with it. The Agency should assign you a new agent, with whom you can begin building a new bond. I know the feeling, though, as I've watched club management change as owners and bartenders retire [and/or die :( ] ...making it very difficult [read: nigh on impossible] to maintain long lasting relationships with venues.

• Members

Around here no agent can keep us working or even ask for an exclusive, but a few give us work from time to time. One of them died a few years ago, and another is so old he played with "The Big Bands" - and hasn't thrown us anything in years. He's too old to be aggressive.

And there are no young agents in the area to take their place.

• Members

Yep, I guess the deal is to just keep on plugging away. Went out with some friends tonight that have ten or so years on me, and they're just working on their latest CD. I suppose there's a need to realize that life doesn't get any easier, it just gets longer, if you're lucky....

• Members
I sure had a lot more gigs back when I had two agents. Had a falling out with one and the other lost interest in booking me. It was so easy back then... didn't have to make any phone calls etc.

Oh yes, the endless phone calls, meetings, texts, and in general, dealing with people that were crazy enough to open a restaurant - a PITA.

I recently booked a gig that is costing me money (because an agent offered two gigs instead of my one), and the never ending communication is driving me crazy. It's for really bad money as well, but they practically begged me to do it; all the while saying they had little money.

Back when agents could pick up the phone, book my band for $5000.00 for the week and then take their $750.00 I often complained about them. Now they have to book six different solo guys/gals in the same room from Monday to Saturday. Total for the week would be around $1100.00 to $1200.00. I reckon they are working hard for their money.

I recall that my grade six social studies teacher once asked us what was the one constant in the world. The class had many answers but he successfully refuted them all. Finally I piped up "is it change". Bingo. So I guess I should remember my grade six lesson - change is inevitable. It's learning to like it that's hard.

Archived