Itsssssssssss Showtime or is it?

steve mac

• Members

Guys what time does your " act" go on? Like most, I guess, I like to get home handy but I don't start until folk have finished eating, so it's usually a 9.30ish start. Which makes it a midnight ish finish. Guess I am just feeling old and grumpy.

• Moderators

most of my solo gigs are private party gigs which can run 6 to midnight [bonus $ after 4 hours...party giver's decision]. Teh coffee house thing here usually runs 8 to midnight. My pro jam on Sunday runs 6-10PM, home by 11:30...

• Members

Almost all of my solo gigs are 5:30 to 8:30, 6 to 9, or 6:30 to 9:30. Some are 7-10, but not many. Understand, there are few solo one man bands with backing tracks here. Some places have tried it and the audiences just won't buy it. There are two guys doing it but I don't see them playing much.

When we were in Cabo last week, we stayed in Cabo San Jose, about 15 miles from Cabo San Lucas. Every restaurant that had music had marginal at best guitar players using full band backing tracks playing 40 to 60 year old songs. They were terrible performers, barelky adequate players, but most were decent singers. We did see one Cuban-style group who had a guitar player who used a synth to make it sound like a steel drum or a marimba, but even they had a conga player and a bass player.

The highlight of the trip was a dinner cruise with a band, a trio that played classic rock, segue after segue, and they were absolutely fearless, playing songs as a trio I'd never attempt- Hotel Califonia, Free Bird, and a few others. And they did them well. The singer/guitar player was great, singing everything in English, and the rhythm section was spot on. I tipped them 20 bucks, something I don't do often.

• Members

I mainly do hotels as a single. One place runs 5 to 7 Monday to Thursday and 9 to 12 am on the weekends. Another place runs 7 to 10pm Monday to Sunday with an extra shift from 4 to 7pm Fridays. Yet another spot does two shifts on the weekend; 6 to 9 and then 9:20 to midnight. The real swank place in town (I aged out of that room) runs 3 to 5, 5 to 8 and then 8 to 12am. Each successive act gets bigger and usually younger.

I really like the early short shifts from 5 to 7pm, but the money isn't as good.

• Members

I have one that starts at 1PM (you visited us there) and we have others that are 7-10. But I'm playing for a retirement audience and they don't like to stay up too late.

The exception to all this is when the French Canadians come down for the winter. If we get booked for one of their parties, it'll go to midnight easily.

I don't care what time I go or get home, my internal clock is easily reset.

Notes

Archived