Has (coffee) bean

steve mac

• Members

So last week I was told that my regular patio gig was ending as the owners had decided out the blue to sell up and move on and the new owners were going in a new direction. It's a shame as it really was a great venue and got a good crowd, but hey ho. Anyway the scene here is changing and in the past year several large coffee shops have opened and although non of them are providing entertainment, I am thinking of making some enquiries there.

It would be a big change for me as my talents, meagre as they are, involve bantering with drunks and encouraging carousing. But I do love a challenge.

So anyone do the "coffee house" scene? Tips/advice?

• Moderators

I have done a few [3 in the last 5 years]...not my favorite gigs. Here, in the evenings, the 'cafes' are pretty quiet, 'crowds' are subdued, most are slurping coffee and texting [sexting?], browsing on their tablets or conversing in low murmurs...so playing instrumentals is often more what the management looks for. If anyone seems interested, you can banter with them, and occasionally they will request a song [usually something I don't know...kids...:rolleyes: ]. YMMV...

Give me a room full of happy drunks or a private party any day over coffee rooms.

• Members

just another handful of reasons i dig the freedom of what im doing right now. ive been asked to open for the city's earth day celebration, april 22nd, but im thinking of asking if i can instead provide an area for meditation and relaxation... play most of the day, according to the situation... i can do the stage bit if they require but a gong meditation garden by the fountain would seem to me, a much more fitting offering for earth day.

• Members

There are coffee bars here, that do the solo performer scene, but I've never been to one. Until recently I played at a coffee house with a jazz trio. Although it had a bit of a coffee vibe, they also sold draft beer and wine, and it was more of an informal concert. Years ago I used to play at a place called Death By Chocolate - a dessert and cofefe house, but they too also sold booze.

I'm not sure what a "dry" coffee house would be like. It could be a clay flute, dulcimer kind of gig, or it could be more James Taylorish. I guess it depends.

One thing I do know, is that it's strange to play for people on their tablets. I might have mentioned before, that when I'm playing at the airport lounge, I will often get folks glued to their tablets. They're checking their flights, emails, sports scores and such. Some of them even Skype, watch movies or play video games. It's distracting and off-putting, but that's showbiz...

• Members

yes sir... the extraneous noises dont bother me, after a few seconds im in the zone, laughter, cell phones, conversations... it all becomes part of the nothing, fading away as the journey begins. however, best results seem to come from appealing to common courtesy for others that have come to meditate...

festivals and shows are different, obviously, but meditation or therapy groups? usually we begin by asking that all phones, games, and electronic devices be turned off. if you cant turn off your phone, silence all sounds and if a call must be answered, please excuse yourself and rejoin the meditation after your call.

• Members

especially since i dont do " sets",if i have to rush i simply dont play the gig... it isnt a matter of ego, rather it is simply what works or what doesnt work... i have learned not to urinate into a volume of air moving toward me at a high velocity for a sustained period without expectation of aerosol dispersion upon oneself.

• Members

Almost all of the coffee house gigs her are for tips only, or perhaps 50 bucks and as many half/caf skinny almond milk lattes you can swill down. They are mostly done by church kids ( all three of the independent coffee joints are owned by Christians). It's a great way for these kids to get experience while playing for their friends, but it ain't for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

We played a couple a few years ago when we were trying to expand our rep into more popular stuff. I think we played for tips and one whole free coffee/drink of our choice for free. Made maybe $25 on a good night. Our old Celtic stuff went over better than the new stuff (maybe we were just better at it).

Most local coffee houses seem to cater to the just starting, or the just messing around. We've had to leave some places due to the suspicious skills of some entertainers. We really want to support their efforts, but we also want to enjoy ourselves. I can't NOT listen to a musician if they're playing.

• Members

A quick enquiry has revealed that I would be earning at least as much as a bar gig, so that's fine; not dealing with drunks, that's neither here nor there for me, I quite like the challenge, plus the drunker they are the better I sound; I will need to add some more appropriate songs to my list, now this may be a show stopper but it may be time anyway

Need a bit of a think.

• Members

A gig is a gig. If you are playing the right kind of music for the audience, and you do it well enough, it's all good.

If you are playing the wrong kind of music for the audience, it's better not to take the gig because it can be very ugly.

On tablets: People with their noses glowing from their phones and tablets are just a part of modern life. I just accept that. There have always been people not paying attention to the band, talking in groups, watching silent but moving TV pictures in the corner, and what have you. But at the same time, there are those who are enjoying the music and paying attention to the band. I focus my attention on these people, play what I think they want to hear, and do my best to ignore those who are ignoring me.

Unless of course it's a 'sonic wallpaper' job, then I just meld quietly into the background and focus on playing background music as artfully as possible. With the right attitude, background music gigs can be quite pleasant for the musician.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Moderators

funny, in the 'olden days', coffee house gigs were the bread and butter for solos and duos, and the crowds were usually very appreciative [although I rememebr finger snapping in lieu of hand clapping...], and it was pretty easy to predict what music would work.

Archived