What kind of music do you play?

FloridaFrailer

• Members

Here at the beach, we're coming into season. As you'd expect, there are MANY acoustic solo gigs up for grabs. So I pass out cards that indicate my identity as a "solo acoustic music" guy. They cover my need and work in a fair variety of the venue's that I am going for. Inevitably, I am ask.... "what kind of music do you play?" The answer always varies with the venue. I am a man in his early 50's, so I range from Doc Watson to Johnny Cash to Coldplay to U2 to Bob Seegar to Grateful Dead to Motown (and many more). I like to think it's a fairly wide range.

My latest attempt at a catch-all for this is what I call "Floricana Sout" music.

I wondered.... what kind of music do you play?

How wide is your genre range and how would you describe your overall approach? A radio with feet? Oldies? Jazz slant? Mimic? Stylist?

Oh yeah... are you staying busy with it? How many days a month do you gig?

Big Chief Frailer

• Moderators

my solo act is nothing if not eclectic, covering material from the early 1930s through the 80s...nothing worth a damn was written after 1985 anyway...;)

jazz, soul, R&B, blues 60s pop, calypso, reggae, british invasion, surf, country AND western......ballads, rockers...y'know, music...

no, the solo thing is on the back burner as I maintain my 'legacy' blues band [18 years], polish my new 7 piece jazz/soul/R&B/blues band and showcase the originals band I co-produce. Doesn't leave me much time for my solo act for now...but I keep it fresh and ready if a call comes in.

This is a brutally competitive market for music, and although I can make $ doing the solo act, it requires more hustle than I can muster at the moment.

I am definitely a 'stylist'...what I do does not sound like anyone else; I am lead vocalist in two bands, backing vocalist in the originals band, and the only git-slinger in all of them; plus I get occasional side work just as a guitar player...which is not easy in a town where every third person plays guitar.

• Members

For my solo act, the artist's songs that generate the most response and favourable comments are by George Benson, Eric Clapton, Santana, Steely Dan, BB King and Bob Marley. I've probably got fifty tunes or more, just from that bunch. Actually just writing that out, I realize that for my promo, maybe I shouldn't try and define my music, but rather let my music define me. Maybe I don't need a word or phrase for what I do, maybe I just need the names of the artists that I mainly play.

Gee thanks Doc, this was very helpful!

• Members

Love that Blues Brother line. Reminds me of playing this small town in Ontario way back when. We asked what kind of music went over and they said "oh everything does, you know. Rock and Heavy Metal even songs by Supertramp". We played things like EWF - it was a very, very long week...

• Moderators

In the late 70s I was a sub for the guitarist in a 'hardcore' Country Western band...played a couple places in So Cal [bakersfield was the 1st] where they had chicken wire in front of the stage...very educational. When I saw this in the BB movie, I was cracking up...bin thar, dun dat...

• Members

For my prime gig these days (pipe organ) I play whatever the deceased's family asks for -- hymns and psalms and stuff. I also drag around a small choir to help out.

Other times I play old country, old R&B, old pop and old jazz on piano or guitar. And sing. I'm the only person around here who sings a Stephen Foster medley. I *don't* play 70's 80's and whatever -- why play what you can hear everywhere? My most requested song these days is "Maria Elena." Go figure. Like this but different and in English.

[video=youtube;-q6VclqyUqg]

• Members
For my prime gig these days (pipe organ) I play whatever the deceased's family asks for -- hymns and psalms and stuff. I also drag around a small choir to help out.

Other times I play old country, old R&B, old pop and old jazz on piano or guitar. And sing. I'm the only person around here who sings a Stephen Foster medley. I *don't* play 70's 80's and whatever -- why play what you can hear everywhere? My most requested song these days is "Maria Elena." Go figure. Like this but different and in English.

[video=youtube;-q6VclqyUqg]

and the guy in the middle.... burned his driver's license...

• Members
Here at the beach, we're coming into season. As you'd expect, there are MANY acoustic solo gigs up for grabs. So I pass out cards that indicate my identity as a "solo acoustic music" guy. They cover my need and work in a fair variety of the venue's that I am going for. Inevitably, I am ask.... "what kind of music do you play?" The answer always varies with the venue. I am a man in his early 50's, so I range from Doc Watson to Johnny Cash to Coldplay to U2 to Bob Seegar to Grateful Dead to Motown (and many more). I like to think it's a fairly wide range.

My latest attempt at a catch-all for this is what I call "Floricana Sout" music.

How wide is your genre range and how would you describe your overall approach? A radio with feet? Oldies? Jazz slant? Mimic? Stylist?

Big Chief Frailer

​big chief frailer... I would like to think I'm genre blind... hank Williams, hey hey good lookin' done to a thin lizzy grind, three piece power trio... or lean slightly to the syncopated and viola! big band!! , same tune? but horns and a duo with a sultry torch singer... I don't know, connect and play it like ya feel it in that moment. my overall approach would be dependent upon the instrument that's chosen me at the time and my mood,( I don't know, you've heard me play a time or two, I think I did Gershwin on the 5 string banjo the evening we met at crooks?, but I don't think youve heard the gongs...)

​how busy? I facilitate drum circles twice a month, I don't have cards, a web site or a farcebook page and had only one gig on the calendar... the ren faire/ Scottish fest at frank brown park next weekend, until two weeks ago and now I'm booked into april as much or more than I want and have had a couple rather interesting conversations with a festival promoter in the last week. I need to concentrate on getting my recording back on track.

• Members

I'm not a jazz musician, I'm not a country musician, I'm not a classical musician, I'm not a salsa musician, I'm not a rock musician, I'm not a __________ musician. I'm a musician.

In our duo we play a couple of dozen different genres and depending on who shows up and what they are responding to that's what kind of musician we are that night.

• Members

I sell myself as Americana/alt-country/singer-songwriter/neofolk and acoustic classics.I cover everything from Johnny Cash and Hank to Willie and Waylon and more obscure guys like Hayes Carll, Chris Knight, Brandon Rhyder, Ryan Bingham, Robert Earl Keen, Guy Clark etc. I do reworked classics by Creedence, Simon & Garfunkel, the Stones, Elton John, the Animals. I do James Taylor, Tom Waits, John Prine. I do newer stuff like Avett Brothers, Redbird, Ray Lamontagne, and so on. Basically, if I like the song and it suits my voice, I play it. If I don't and it doesn't, I don't play it. Mind you, I'm playing almost all restaurant solo gigs where I'm the background, so what I play is less important than how I play it. I have the luxury, unlike event or tavern solo players, of playing only what I want, when I want, the way I want, if I want. I regularly get compliments on my repertoire, though, I make good tips and they keep calling me back and rebooking, so I guess it works for me.

I have been playing 8 to 15 gigs a month, but I've slowed it down by choice to 5 to 8 solo gigs and two band weekends a month. I have two grandkids now and I want to be able to take them fishing, ride my motorcycle more, and spend more time with the wife.

No one ever said on their deathbed, "I wish I would have played one more club."

• Members

Thanks.

Playing different kinds of music are like eating different kinds of food. Each one offers a different delight. Why limit yourself to just one?

I do think that the cross influences of the different kinds of music I've been fortunate enough to play help all the kinds of music I play. The classical helps the rock which helps the jazz which helps the blues ad infinitum.

On the other hand, it might have kept me from being a true master in one particular genre. There is more than one way to do music right.

• Members

Keyboard player. With groups I play more country gigs (Willie Nelson tribute band) than any other genre, although I occasionally get calls for jazz combo (even though I'm not a strong jazzer) or blues gigs. I'm playing more (untracked) solo piano these days, on those I play pop/rock, jazz standards, Scott Joplin, classical, also Dr John and blues. I encourage requests because my strength is being able to handle more and a wider range of those than most other pianists (I'm surprised at how much younger crowds know about chee-Z 70's music, I lived through that decade so it gives me a leg up lol). I spend a fair amount of time combing YouTube for good solo piano performances. Currently all my eggs are in the musician basket so I have to maximize that.

• Members

Hello Ben(evolence), I seem only to recall your djembe playing at Crooks, though Gershwin on a banjo does sound intriguing. I ask initially as I'm always confused as to the best way to present. Frankly, those concerned with the business of venue are often quite overwhelmed already and the chaos that is my "muse" would most assuredly blow their minds. I prefer a gentler, and somewhat more familial approach, thus my inquiry. That said, perhaps I should bring a small gong along to pitch them for bookings? Maybe, just maybe the moment of zen it would bring might push some of those pesky closing's over the edge. Of course, my dear Ben(evolence) you need no cards, or Facebook pages, you are a known commodity in these parts due to your ever presence. I seem to recall the last time I sighted you was at one open mic at a one of those scurrilous bars located in the back of a package store. I must admit that the sound of the "hang"like drum you had was mesmerizing. Were I to define your genre, I'd have to say.... cosmic. Rock on my brother :-)

• Members

Oldies including: Country, Jazz, Blues, Rock, Reggae, Surf, Pop, Folk, Rat Pack, Big Band. Did the Jimmy Buffet thing 25 years ago and can still pull off a jimmy Buffet party. I've always learned and performed songs that get requested more than once. If someone wants me to learn a song that is only for them, I pass. Of course, there are genres and songs that I prefer to play (Jazz & Blues).

• Members

ive never played drums or percussion at crooks, but guitar, mostly... once i brought a banjo to change it up... i did a very sleazy version of gershwins, summertime... a yes piece, " your move" , based on the importance of the difference one note, or person can make... and ended with everly brothers " dream"... nothing bluegrass, as that would be expected, especially since my place of origin is west by god... oh wait... if i was playing djembe at crooks it must have been in the parking lot... that doesnt count, hahaha!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Big Chief Frailer

Hey man, where are you located? I'm N of Orlando in Seminole County.

Archived