The Incredible Shrinking Jackets

Shaster

• Members

What do you folks think about the way sports jackets and suits are tailored these days? Maybe you haven't noticed, maybe you have? Now, believe it or not, this is a performance related question.

Somewhere in the last year or two, I have noticed that young men are wearing suits that are much smaller than they were in the past. In fact they look like the suits we probably all had as little boys. You know the suits our parents bought us to attend some function or the other. Problem was, a few years later, we had to wear those same suits to another function, but because we were growing so fast, the suits looked too small. Well I'm noticing now, that all the "hip" and "fashion forward" young guys are wearing suits about one or two sizes smaller (except for the sleeves) than we wore in the past.

I play in one lounge where I often wear a suit or sports jacket. I have noticed that all the management, business men, and male lawyers (tons of them) are wearing the short and tailored suits. I've talked to a few older guard types, and they can't stand the trend.

Just wondering what the members here are doing about this, or any other weird trend - man buns anyone?. For myself, I went out and bought four "tailored" jackets. They look strange to me, but so do my older clothes. Maybe I should just wear a shirt, but all the shirts are smaller now too. Luckily my guitar isn't out of fashion - then again, my metal guitars from the 80's do look out of place...

Anybody have to deal with this - or is it strictly jeans and T-Shirts for you guys?

• Members

I play one gig a year (holiday party) where I wear a jacket and tie. I used to wear suits every day for work but stopped that 17 years ago. I have since gotten rid of all suits except for one I wear to weddings and funerals. The cashmere blazer I wear to the "Snow Ball" gig is a really nice and expensive jacket that will never really go out of style.

I know what you mean about the newer styles. At 60, while not fat, I ain't gonna get no tight fitting tailored jacket.

For me it's black jeans, western shirt and cowboy boots for most gigs... playing country these days.

• Members

i wear simple white kurtas... often with tie dyed "scrubs" type pants... my sandals or flips are always at the edge of the stage as i dont like anything on my feet when i play. currently im playing with the idea of wearing traditional buddhist lay robes over a tie dyed tank and pants... starting the performance with a completely traditional style, transitioning visually and aurally (on the down beat) near the end with an excursion into my own, unique techniques and flavors, for the climax... and then, a proper and fitting twist for the finish.

jeans and t-shirt? suit jacket? sorry about your luck, fellas... lol...

• Members

I haven't noticed. But I do notice the female fashions ;)

I wear Hawaiian shirt and blue jeans for the marina gig. Hawaiian shirt and Khaki pants for most other outdoor gigs. Inside it can range from black dress shirt/pants with either an ascot or tie to a tuxedo depending on the function.

The town I play in is not very cosmopolitan, more of a resort/retirement community, so I suppose the lawyer/banker fashions don't matter so much here.

Notes

• Moderators

I have noticed the retro suit trend. very mid-1960s, and eschew it.

I do a few hotel band gigs a year, and may need a tux or a suit [most of those I am the front man, and I cheat...white jeans with a white jacket..looks like a suit on stage]. Most outdoor gigs, like Notes, I am in a Hawaiian shirt and slacks [sometimes shorts if the temperature is over 100].

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I've always worn skinny jeans and suits on stage Even when they were out of style and I had to special order them from Italy and have them tailored. They always looked better and more "rock" on stage.

I can't believe the fat man suits were in style for as long as they were. Now I can get the good-fitting stuff at a reasonable price.

Archived