strange Facebook likes ?

J.Paul

• Members

I've been getting a disproportionate amount of "Likes" on my Facebook page from Africa for the last 2 or 3 years.

I'm a solo act based in Nashville, TN and play American covers mostly around the southeast US.

I don't play African songs or have any kind of marketing targeted for Africa.

I've not done an accurate count but would estimate that 60% of my current "likes" are by Facebook users from Africa.

Does anyone else find this unusual? I am puzzled why this is happening. (haven't been hacked yet)

I would ask them how they found me but their english is pretty compromised.

Questions? Comments? Anyone else have a similar experience?

• Members

At first I thought it was some sort of long con, but 2 or 3 years is much longer than long. Maybe it's a Searching for Sugar Man kind of deal.

Although I have a FB presence, I don't have a FB musician page, so I don't have any personal experience with FB likes. The whole thing does sound odd though. I'll have to ask around and see if anyone I know has experienced anything similar.

• Members
At first I thought it was some sort of long con, but 2 or 3 years is much longer than long. Maybe it's a Searching for Sugar Man kind of deal.

Although I have a FB presence, I don't have a FB musician page, so I don't have any personal experience with FB likes. The whole thing does sound odd though. I'll have to ask around and see if anyone I know has experienced anything similar.

~ At first I thought it could be a setup for a scam, but that never happened....

~ the last couple of months there have been one or two requests for jobs; "are you hiring" kind of messages

~ if the requests were getting into 1000 + it might be worth taking the time time to see if there's legitimate interest in what

I'm doing and capitalize on it there (there IS a music scene in Kenya), but I don't think that's what this is at this point.

• Moderators

perhaps there is some sort of 'Americana' trend happening there, not unlike how we 'discovered' 'world music' in the 80s and 90s...the web certainly levels the playing field across the planet. Have you tried hitting the 'likes' back to see who they are? I don't do F-book [i have people for that ;) ], so I have no idea how any of that works...

Archived