Bose Tonematch Or Soundcraft Efx 8 As Small Mixer For Solo Act With Tracks

Damien Quinn

• Members

Hi Folks, I have been using the Bose Tonematch this past 6yrs with my Qsc powered HPRi 122 tops and now moved on to the QSC KW122s,

I am a one man band using accoustic guitar and backing tracks.

I have been interested in the Soundcraft EFX mixer and the idea of the Lexicon effects and wondering would this mixer actually produce a better sound from my speakers than the Bose or would you even notice a difference.

I miss the sound of my 122 tops and probably trying to get the best out of my Kw122s and wondering would changing the mixer actually give you an even better sound.

• Members

I have limited experience with the Tonematch but a fair bit of hours logged with the Soundcraft EFX and the other mixers in that family. Although I don't own a Soundcraft, next week I will be using an eight channel Soundcraft mixer (the one without FX) on four different occasions.

My personal take is that, I like the Soundcraft and don't like the Tonematch, but as you can see by the paragraph above, FX aren't all that important to me. Most of the single acts on my circuit use very little, to no effects. I think we are all trying to avoid sounding like karaoke. As well, many of the rooms I play have natural reverb - don't need much help in that regard.

I'm also of the opinion that if you aren't happy with your speakers a mixer isn't going to be the magic solution, but then again the Tonematch can get pretty radical in it's EQ and FX - the reason I don't like it, and maybe the reason you do.

My recollection of the HPR's is that they were a quality speaker, but very flat. That's my general assessment of most of the QSC speakers. I don't know if you have been using the Tonematch to turn a flat speaker into a hyped speaker, or if you just like the FX, or maybe a bit of both. Guess I have more questions than answers...

• Members

I used a Soundcraft for years with the Lexicon and it was only ever ok.

I got an mixer by Allen & Heath with effects and LOVE it.

They do various sized ones and are not expensive - but they are very, very good. I have FX 12 but I think they do a smaller one.

Check them out.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

The guys on here recommended A&H to me and I investigated them, trialed one and have had one for several years now.

better than the Soundcraft in my opinion.

• Members

Hi SusieP, long time. Hope life is good.

I own an Allen & Heath MixWiz3 16:2 and an A&H Zed10FX. Very happy with them both. I am also hoping to add a Zed 6FX for my really small gigs. That's if they ever ship them.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/67342/Pro-Audio---Recording/Mixers/Allen---Heath/ZED-6FX-6-Channel-Live-Recording-Mixer-w--FX.htm

• Moderators

Another viable option is the Yamaha passive mixers, I have the MG82cx which has served me well both as a solo, duo and band. The main drawback with the 82cx is there are no xlr outs, but the next unit up, the 10 has xlr out. Personally, I am not a fan of Bose PA related gear.

and Ms. SusieP...where have you been hiding?

• Members
I used a Soundcraft for years with the Lexicon and it was only ever ok.

I got an mixer by Allen & Heath with effects and LOVE it.

They do various sized ones and are not expensive - but they are very, very good. I have FX 12 but I think they do a smaller one.

Check them out.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

The guys on here recommended A&H to me and I investigated them, trialed one and have had one for several years now.

better than the Soundcraft in my opinion.

I really liked the Bose Tonematch and its compactness and the fact that it clamps onto the mic stand in front of you but was just wondering if a standard mixer like the soundcraft or Allen & Heath would give you an even better sound so was wondering if anyone had experience using both.

• Members

I really liked the Bose Tonematch and its compactness and the fact that it clamps onto the mic stand in front of you but was just wondering if a standard mixer like the soundcraft or Allen & Heath would give you an even better sound so was wondering if anyone had experience using both.

As I've said previously, I suspect that you are not so much looking for a better sound as for a better processed sound. All the suggested small format mixers mentioned; Soundcraft, Allen & Heath and Yamaha, will pretty much faithfully reproduce what is going in, and allow some judicious tailoring of what is going out. However they aren't made to be a substitute for a whack of processors. If you want a really hyped processed sound, then it looks like you already have what you need. If that's the case, stick with the Tonematch or get a dedicated mic pedal processor.

Note that I am not recommending the Tonematch, but if that's the sound you want - you've got it!

BTW I own a very small, mic stand mount Yamaha mixer. Works great, but it ain't a magic sound box.

• Members

Hello all, I am fine thank you. Hope you are all doing well.

Have popped in a few times but this topic was one I felt I could comment on.

I have one more comment to make in addition to my earlier one that I think Allen & Heath are fantastic mixers - and that is......cables.

Cable quality does make a big difference as well.

Van Damme cables with Neutrik connectors are also a good idea, I think. :)

But of course if you are using poor quality backing tracks no mixer or cable will make them sound better! :lol::D

• Members
Hello all, I am fine thank you. Hope you are all doing well.

Have popped in a few times but this topic was one I felt I could comment on.

I have one more comment to make in addition to my earlier one that I think Allen & Heath are fantastic mixers - and that is......cables.

Cable quality does make a big difference as well.

Van Damme cables with Neutrik connectors are also a good idea, I think. :)

But of course if you are using poor quality backing tracks no mixer or cable will make them sound better! :lol::D

I use all Neutrik cables and my backing tracks were all made live in a studio so I have no qualms about that side of the set up.

Archived