Shure Super 55 or 55SH Series II mics?

msmooth

• Members

Does anyone have any experience with or know about Shure Super 55 or 55SH Series II mics? I want to buy one for my wife's birthday gift but not sure what the differences are, except the cardioid pattern and the price. Any help is appreciated.

• Members

I worked with a vocalist that was always well dressed, and presented himself very well. Looks were important to him, and so because of his musical bag, he bought a Shure 55. Put it on one of his CD covers IIRC. Anyway he kept trying to use the darn thing but ultimately returned to his collection of modern day mics. I believe his main weapon was a Line 6 wireless. For him, even though looks were important, the Super 55 just didn't cut it. Of course YMMV.

You could also try asking this on HC's live sound forum.

Forgot to mention that hand holding the super 55 isn't the greatest. Also one model is a cardioid and one is super cardioid. Google will tell you which is which.

• Moderators

I have owned a 55SH for many years, and it is a classic dynamic cardiod vocal mic with great response. I find it is difficult to use as a guitarist, because I have to lean in uncomfortably, and the mass is difficult to balance on a boom, so now I let our harmonica player use it for vocals. Definitely not a good choice for hand held, as mentioned by Shaster.

The Super 55 is the supercardiod version [hence the 'Super' appellation]. Aside from the different element, blue foam and the lack of a switch on the Super 55, they are in the same frame and very similar for frequency response, although I believe the 55SH has a bit more bottom end. Given the choice between the two, I would be more likely to suggest the Super 55 for a female vocalist...but remember both have a large frame and will cover a lot of the singer's face.

• Members

Bass player had a 55SH here for a while. Had to use a well-balanced boom to get it close enough to his face, and with that, the mic angle didn't adjust perfectly for his taste. Sounded OK... when he got close enough... but he often failed at that (technique issue, he's working on it)...

Big blob in front of your face, if your a vocalist.

Anyway, he took that one away, and I think what he left is a Carvin M68 (Shure SM58 wannabee?). I think he likes Carvin because of their costs... but in any case, the different shape works better for him. (Still has to use a boom.)

-D44

• Moderators

yeah, a boom kind of ruins the visual effect of an old-timey mic...hence I gave mine to our harmonica player to sing through...and covering up part of his face is a free benefit to the audience ;)

Also the mic 'look' is part of our band logo going back 17 years...so we need to have it front and center on stage...

Archived