Hard to Beat

steve mac

• Moderators
I have been looking at the Farmerfoot drum and the Porchboard for years.

I did too...I had actually made one of those broken headphone kick drum units but the need to keep it going throughout a complete set was tiring; the beat buddy actually is getting used less and less, as are the Ditto looper and harmonizer...I'm pretty much back to my original WYSIWYG solo act, with a couple of songs using the harmonizer [Everly Bros. medley, mainly] and a few with he BB...I just really felt I needed to concentrate on my singing more than anything else; so the less distractions, the better. Plus my setup is faster without it...

• Members

I love my BeatBuddy (big one, not mini). I just a few of the main beats on it, set up in their own folder so I can use an external footswitch to scroll through them. you really need the external footswitch as well unless you like bending down a lot to select drum tracks. Also has good midi support so a lot of people use OnSong or similar and have it send midi commands to the BB to select the track etc when they select the song.

You can also create your own beats using the software if you really want to but I've never found the need to do that. From what I read on the forum the software is not the most intuitive to use but it does the job and they are constantly trying to improve it.

• Moderators

plus, they are programming popular songs by name acts for download...I had forgotten about teh midi thing, so yes, if you want that capability, order the midi cable too!

I was an 'early adopter' [one of the 1st 100 to pre-order during the crowd funding] and I am happy with my BB+the ext ftsw

• Members

I use tracks, so I don't normally need a drum machine. I did however, download a few drum machines to my tablet, just in case I get a request for a song that I don't have tracks for, but could still use a beat. That might be an option if you don't need a lot of different beats.

My last set this past Saturday night was (in no particular order) Oye Como Va, Red Red Wine, I Feel Good, Holly Jolly Christmas, Brown Eyed Girl, Mustang Sally, Some Kind of Wonderful and the UB40 version of I Can't Help Falling In Love. Had about twenty people up and dancing, in a place that doesn't have a dance floor. I used tracks for that set, but a drum machine might have worked almost as well. Having said that, I have had people up and dancing without tracks but it's much harder on the hands YMMV.

Archived