Solo singer newbie

Singpraise12

• Members

I am a singer who does not play an instrument, but I am becoming more popular in my local community. I have performed at different venues, mostly meets and festivals but at larger events I have full band. Until I learn to play proficiently, are backing tracks okay? And what is the best self contained system to use? Can I just song a capella at certain venues or would that just be super lame?

• Moderators

Welcome Sp12, to the solo/duo forum!

I personally am opposed to tracks because they kill spontaneity and most [not all] just sound like...tracks, not a live band.

As a vocalist, if you are going to use tracks, get the best tracks you can find, and rehearse your butt off with them . Find the spaces in the tracks where you can infuse your personality into the material, make it seem like the track was made for you...

• Members

At the moment I am doing 75% solo work and 25% band work. When I play solo, I use tracks because I'm a competent soloist (IMHO) and that is part of my gimmick. I also use tracks because filling all the spaces on guitar tires my hands very quickly.

There might have been a time when a singer only using tracks would have seemed lame, but people are more accepting of technology these days - there could be places that don't mind you doing that, it will depend... I would recommend at least adding some percussion, like tambourine, shakers maybe even some very small congas - even if you just rest your hands on them!

As daddymack mentioned, the quality of tracks is very important. Perhaps you don't yet know enough to tell a good track from a bad. If that's the case, I believe one of our forumites sells good quality tracks - perhaps "Notes" will chime in.

Oh yes, welcome to the forum Singpraise12

• Members

So it's either solo with tracks or full band? Why not some middle ground, as in one good musician to back you? Ideally one who can play both guitar and piano. I predict that if you try that you would not want to go back to tracks.

​RE tracks themselves, they seem to have run their course in my area (as far as clubs go) audiences and performers tired of the tracked sound. Although recently at my private club brunch gig, a group hired a jazz saxophonist to play with tracks during their event. And I know of other horn players who use tracks at nursing home and other gigs with a limited budget.

• Members

Hi singpraise as others have said welcome to the board, I have dabbled with the BT thing on and off and for a long while gave up on them.

Now what I am finding is that whilst my crowds are happy to join In a sing song they also want to have a dance. To this end I have tried all manner of percussion from porcheboards to drum machines to supplement my guitar, currently I am using my looper to add a beat but still it's lacking the pull to the dance floor.

Now I am thinking of revisiting the tracks again and having two halves to my show, firstly me and my guitar, looper and harp. Then after my break having an hours dancing with me using tracks.

I will load them onto my iPad via Onsong and play them through my TC Helicon play acoustic (I would suggest you visit their site and check out their products such as the Mike Mechanic which will raise your game considerably). I would also look into a wireless mike if you are not playing an instrument to enable a bit of interaction.

With regards to a PA system a lot depends upon the venues you are planning on performing at. I have been looking at various systems for the last year and keep vacillating from not only the make but the type.

I would guess a tower system like Bose or JBL make ie the Eon 1 would be just the ticket for you as with BTs you would need a decent bass. Or you could try an all in one speaker like a Mackie Reach which would have the spread and power for a small to medium venue and you can run the tracks via Bluetooth.

Anyway again welcome on board.

• Members
So it's either solo with tracks or full band? Why not some middle ground, as in one good musician to back you? Ideally one who can play both guitar and piano. I predict that if you try that you would not want to go back to tracks.

​RE tracks themselves, they seem to have run their course in my area (as far as clubs go) audiences and performers tired of the tracked sound. Although recently at my private club brunch gig, a group hired a jazz saxophonist to play with tracks during their event. And I know of other horn players who use tracks at nursing home and other gigs with a limited budget.

​Whoops, I see from the other thread that you have already done some performances with a pianist, my bad..but welcome to the forum and good luck!

• Members

what kind of atmosphere are you attempting to create? what others are doing has some bearing, but do you want to be just another one of those? last time i saw tracks used around here was for an elvis tribute band... it was cute. i play multiple instruments but if i am going to sing and have only one musician to back me, give me a piano player that listens and pays attention... one thats a little unpredictable and prone to flights of fancy... and acts like all my mishaps are well rehearsed shtick... your mileage may vary.

• Members

I play in a duo with tracks that I make myself http://www.s-cats.com so I really can't say anything bad about them.

However, I loathe karaoke type tracks because they are mixed for wrong. When I make my tracks I pump up the snare, exaggerate the groove, re-arrange and/r do a lot of other things that make a live performance not sound like a recording. Plus I can change the key without those artifacts.

But you gotta do what you gotta do.

Good luck,

Notes

• Members

what these white bred* cough* and mayo consumers could be taught by a duo utilizing a good keybroadist posessing no respect for mainstream pop music constraints and a lovably abrasive sense of humor and a charismatic vocalist... slightly shy... and sad of eye... having no solid concept of this word " john-rah"?

Archived