Alternative payment methods

steve mac

• Members

A restauranter offered, and I agreed, to pay me for a gig with a few kilos of bacon and sausages. Living in a predomently muslim country whilst pork products are easily bought they are expensive and so this worked out great all around. Missus Mac was happy and well happy wife happy life.

Made me wonder, at the risk of encouraging risqué stories. Has anyone else been paid by a somewhat unauthodox means.

• Moderators

that gives a whole new meaning to 'bringing home the bacon', eh? I guess you are now living high off the hog? In hog heaven...happier than a pig in...okay, I'll stop... ;)

To answer the question, though, no, I like cold hard cash...or a certified check...sometimes 'bonuses' via free meals, bar tabs, etc., but I have never taken 'portable porcine product' as payment...

• Members

Did a benefit, expecting nothing, at the Gananoque Brewing Company with the trio. The owner gave us each a gift certificate for $50. I'm still collecting a few beer every Thursday to take to my weekly jam out in the country. Nice touch.

• Members

A few years ago my then-band took part in a home-town birthday bash for country artist Marty Stuart, no pay involved but he ended up playing on stage almost the whole time, playing the Whiskey Ain't Working and other hits. We finished out the night by backing his wife, country star Connie Smith, on her hit Once a Day = priceless. Marty then gave each of us an autographed coffee-table book of his and other's photographs of Grand Ole Opry stars and musicians, each book with a handwritten thank-you note. Was a great day thanks to his graciousness and pitch-perfect people skills.

• Members

I did a soft opening for a New Anthony's seafood restaurant in town. I agreed to do it for a couple hundred dollars but then I found it was a benefit for the local junior college, so I refused their check. Instead, they treated the Mrs and I and another couple to a fabulous 4-course meal and a bottle of good wine.

• Members

When I was a young lad, my band played a place that didn't have our money at the end of the week. We kept trying to get paid, they kept stalling us. Finally we settled on trading food and drink for our payment. We gathered a bunch of our friends and ate and drank up to our promised pay. Soon after they were out of business.

The only other time I was offered something in lieu of cash was on a gig that went way overtime but the cheque had already been signed and sent to the agency, so the owner offered a dinner to me and my wife. It was arguably the best French restaurant in town, but unfortunately I couldn't find a date that worked for us. I think the owner was offended - never got hired back.

I have heard of a few people that play at ski resorts for the winter season, possibly at a discount, but work a deal with the ski pass. I guess it's worth it to them. I'd rather have the cash as I'm far too clumsy and/or fragile.

• Moderators

the ski resort thing...would never fly with me. Actually had an offer like that years ago, and nixed it. That would be like getting a cruise ship booking and being told that 'in lieu of pay, you can use the amenities to your heart's content...' Sorry, no, pay me. Cash.

Archived