RCF ART 735 and mixer

Mart447

• Members

Hi!

I'm new here and I have a question for you guys. I just bought 2 RCF ART 735 speakers witch I run with a Allen and Heat Zed10Fx little mixing console. Before upgrading to these speakers, I was using JBL PRX 12 speakers. I find that when I use my mixing console with the new RCF speakers, I have to crank it up quite a bit to get to the volume I want. It wasn't the case with the PRXs. My question is: does that mean that my new speakers need a more powerful mixer? Is there a difference in power between different mixers and if it's the case, what do I have to look at to choose the right one for my speakers?

Links to the products:

RCF speakers:

http://www.rcf.it/products/pro-speaker-systems/art-7-series/art-735-a

Allen and heath mixer:

http://www.allen-heath.com/media/AP7763_2+ZED10FX_UserGuide_A5.pdf

Thanks!

• Moderators

^ I have to agree...the mixer is not the issue since you are using active speakers. I have used an A&H Zed10 many times with no volume issues with Mackie Thumps; your volume should be coming from the speaker's class D amp, not the mixer, and those RCF ART-735A speakers have 1400W [1kW bass/400w high], so there is plenty of power in those beasts.

How are you connecting? IIRC, there are balanced and unbalanced inputs on the RCF ART-735A, which may be part of the issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have found that some powered speakers do need an outboard mixer to get adequate volume for some sound sources. I have found the Yamaha DXR range to be on the "hotter" end of the spectrum, JBL good for that too, QSC's K series weaker and may benefitnform.a seperate mixer. EV's are supposedly weaker also. I'm sure there are trade-offs- my little Yamaha DXR 10 is insanely loud for keys, to the point where I wish it had an onboard pad.

• Moderators

hmmm..I know that my Altos like me to push the mic pre gain, but it is still a passive mixer...maybe that is the issue?

If you are using a line source...?

I can see where the KB would be a hotter signal...so keeping the input gain low would seem to be the best approach.

Archived