Best or Worse Buy for under $50

steve mac

• Members

From a working musician point of view, what have you bought that cost fifty bucks or less that was either a top purchase or is now sitting on a shelf never to be used again.

For me buying my first V pick was a game changer, although more than I would normally pay, having three sides it lasts that much longer and I don't think I have ever dropped one.

The worst was a sort of stiff cloth designed to clean under strings, that was way to much trouble to use and when I did was not that effective.

• Members

Best buy:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_120702_1475419784533_905[/ATTACH]

Until I made my own slide, it got used every time I went out to play.

my new slide is a lead-filled bic lighter that I use even more because there's so much more I can do with it

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31825131[/ATTACH]

• Moderators

Lead? Really? I hope you wear surgical gloves when you play....

Best under $50 would have to be my Magnatone lap steel for $45 in 1990 in a NM pawnshop.

Worst? Hmmm...ah, the Ashdown bass amp I got on sale for $49.99...failed after 1st use...

• Members

Lead? Really? I hope you wear surgical gloves when you play....

You figure the lead is gonna ooze out through the outside of the lighter and get into my bloodstream? Anyway, I've always worn surgical gloves when I play, doesn't everybody?

• Members

Normally, if I buy anything under fifty bucks it's usually strings, picks or cables. I did however score some very nice brand new Godin gig bags for ten bucks each. I use them for my two HM Strats. Back in the nineties, I also got a couple of drum machine cases from the Sunset Blvd Guitar Center for five bucks each. They have come in very handy over the decades. As an added bonus, I learned how to properly use dude, from the dude that sold them to me...

• Members

Sorry dude, but that was a very long time ago.

Heavy Metal Strats. I bought two of them for my Top Forty band work, years ago, and just hung on to them. Twenty four frets, locking bridge and nut. I only use them now for Hendrix tributes and the like. Now that they are twenty-five years old, I guess they are vintage... They haven't gone up in price, just hard to find.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

lol, my fav strap is a bison hide that cost $65... one of my worst expenditures this past year was the acoustic guitar reverb device that fits inside the guitar, utterly useless for my purposes... it was advertised so that it kind of sounded like it amplified the instrument but was worded very carefully to not actually say so. anyhow, i reiterate, utterly without use... best under $50 purchase all year has been a beautiful little bamboo bansuri made by a fellow out of gainesville fl. george tortorelli ... i can force a fourth octave high D out of the upper range and its a sweet, clear, easy to play instrument beautifully hand finished.

• Members

four octaves ? a toy? mayberry four ewe, but even playing a transverse is a furst for me.... todays work is vivaldi f minor scales, glissandos, and meditative type improv... oh, yeah, the tone woodint... definitely in the toy category for my money.

• Members

30 Bucks !! )

my all time #1 favorite

1957 Fender DeLuxe !! )

Horse traded the D120 that was in it !! )

The 1955 12" Jensen that is in it now was also a pretty good deal , my brother got it for 10 bucks at a garage sale !! )

like butta !! )

:)

p.s. got a whole 75 bucks in a 1953 ES-175D !! ) :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

yeah, pogo, that looks like a very limited appeal item fersher...

the best under $50 recently is tough, as I have been picking up 'nano' pedals from Amazon for a pedalboard to use in my 'orignals' band project; one item, though, I got the suggestion from here [solos and duos!] was a dbx GoRack for $29.99. I have not had a chance to use it but will, as we [blues Channel] are doing a gig on the Queen Mary [not the drag niteclub, the actual ship down in Long Beach Harbor!] at the end of this month using my 'mini' PA [Altos/Yamaha/hotspots]. We'll be short one vocalist, so the Yamaha is the perfect fit.

• Members

it may sound silly... but my best under 50 recently was a card reader that hooks up my ipad... simple firewire cable about four inches long and transferring files from go pros, zoomq8, digital cams, drone, etc in a much more timely and relaxed fashion...

Archived