Fishing for answers on a Fishman Soloamp

steve mac

• Members

I get confused when reading reviews of sound systems in that frequently they speak of "suitable for small to medium venues" or " will cover up to 100 people". I do know that wattage doesn't necessarily give much of an indication of loudness and that is covered by SPL? But specs tend to be in Watts. But what is a "small to medium" venue and does the amount of people mean anything as in some places they may be sat quietly whilst others stood being noisy?

Anyway, the biggest venue I would ever have to cover without a house pa is outdoor, (I read that that needs more umph but surely the crowd sound would be easier dissipated?) and would have around 100 to 130 crowd sat at tables over a 40 ft X 80ft patio, usually this will be 60 to 70 folk.

The question is is this covered by a single Fishman Sa330 at 300 watts? Love the idea of a single carry in.

• Members

That is a large patio. Probably the type of venue that a user would give as an example in a glowing review. "It was even able to handle a 40x80 ft. patio with 70 people!" I would honestly use the SoloAmp for that gig. Maybe wish I had a little bit more low-end. Some more discriminating players would say no way in hell I'm sure. I'd say it would suffice but maybe not excel. I've played similay-sized gigs outdoors and had people say they were sitting on their porch listening from a couple blocks away. So it'll reach. I can't speak to how much detail and depth reaches those edges.

• Moderators

The Fishstick does have limitations, and venue size, placement, venue shape all play into it. Now with the 330 version they are letting you pay extra to add a mixer and a subwoofer [starting to compete with the Bose L1, eh?]...which seems to me to kill the convenience factor. Plus, the wattage increase is really negligible as far as actual volume and reach...they should have just bit the bullet and put an 800W class D amp in there, IMHO.

I gave up trying to use my SA220 for outdoor gigs and went to the traditional box on stick [Two Alto 10" 600W with a little Yamaha passive mixer...this set up is outstanding outdoors!] approach. But for indoors in a reasonably sized and shaped room, with proper positioning, the little bugger gits'erdun.

Now, for your 40x80 patio, if the stage is centered on the 40' side, the Fishman will work....if you are in the corner it would work, but if you are in the center of the 80' side, not going to work, as the dispersion angle required is too wide.

• Members

I am at the center of the 40ft. I can't see me needing the mixer or sub, so would be just paying for the extra few watts. Perhaps the Line6 L2t might be a better option, I really don't want the whole couple of speakers on sticks. I was hoping for a one size fits all as unrealistic this is

• Members

I used a QSC K10 at my last gig and was fairly impressed. Relatively lightweight powered speaker with two inputs with independent level controls. So you could skip the mixer if you went that route. I guess the Yamaha is the same way. Not sure how the dispersion would compare though.

Daddymack, do you know how the SA Sub would play with the 220? And if it's "voiced for the SA330x" then is the 330 voiced differently than the 220? Or are they saying the 220 could probably use a sub?

• Moderators

I'm not sure the sub is compatible with the original FishStick, since there is no crossover built in. I'm guessing there is a crossover in the 330, that may cut in when the sub is connected, but I don't know for sure.

To be honest, the bass response on the SA220 is not terrible, it just isn't that deep/resonant/feel it in your feet/ bottom end thing. I suppose it would benefit sound-wise, but now you are lugging around another cab...kind of kills the whole point for me. The SA220 was designed/purpose built for guitar and voice, and IMHO, it excels at that. Now everyone wants to take that one-trick pony to a new level...why?

• Members

It's a dichotomy in that I would love just one thing to carry in, however I do like that they have made the sub and the mixer optional extras .So if you have no need of them, like me, then you are not forced to either buy them or carry them.

• Members

I am a bit concerned as I will be playing both mags and piezo through what is essentially an acoustic amp which has led me to look at the Line6 L2T which looks to have the power and is a FRFR which I am guessing may lead to a better sound" for me. The downsides are the need to buy and carry a speaker stand and maybe the sound dispersion and feedback suppression would not be in the same league as the true line array?

• Members

I think the idea is if you have something that works perfectly for what you do 90% of the time, but could use a little extra flexibility now and then. If you have something more modular you can do that with a couple extra gadgets for your existing setup rather than have to own two full separate PAs.

• Members

I have use the Fishman solo amp now known as the SA 220 for years. I like it. I also use there Spectra DI box.

It sets up in a few minutes.

I have used it at coffee houses, restaurants and even had a buddy of my link ours together.

I have used it out side too.

I was not aware of a SA 330, model, unless it's something brand new.

I feel that that SA 220 is eq-ed very well, for an acoustic and will represent you guitar very well.

I liked the Fishman better than the Bose LI compact, which is in the 1000 dollar range too. Double or triple you money and we can talk a different story.

JBL just came out with a EON One , which might be worth looking at. I have not seen one yet, cause it's that new. Looks like this and it all packs up in the sub woofer.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EONOne

1600-EONOne_detail2.jpg

• Members

Is there room in the market for all these array systems anymore? Is the market growing? I've had pretty good luck with JBL and would have likely considered that option. It looks like so much sub and so little array. It wasn't the sound of the compact that turned me off, it was really just a lack of faith in an array about 1/4 the size of the Fishman. The JBL reminds me of that, but obviously with much more flexibility.

• Moderators

I have to admit that the 'narrow' array of the Bose does put out great sound, but the L1 Compact has no reverb, etc., which made the SA220 such a great unit. The L1 Compact, as far as I could tell, was made simply in order to compete at price-point with the 'FishStick'. Now the SA330, plus the mixer, plus the sub is going to compete with the L1 standard at price-point...

The market is indeed being flooded with array systems [and powered speakers, another great move forward], and in my mind, this is a good thing which should ultimately drive prices downward, create a very healthy used market [thanks to all the folks who just have to own the latest and greatest] and push development of PA/sound reinforcement forward at a quicker pace after decades of complacency.

yes, I like my FishStick..but I don't put in my mouth...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADGWPorwkYg

• Members
[and powered speakers' date= another great move forward]

just to complicate things:

I have a single EV zlx12p powered speaker. Two inputs xlr/quarter inch with faders, which is adequate for me solo. Very simple, thirty-five pounds, $400 or thereabouts and ONE-THOUSAND WATTS of power. Whatever that means. It has never yet been too quiet. By placing it carefully, I don't need a personal monitor and feedback has not been a problem. I also use it in a loud band as the piano monitor -- no sweat against drums bass and five guitars. Clean and clear.

• Moderators

Powered speakers are a good option for many things, but, the 'no reverb' thing is there, not so much a negative for acoustic instruments, but for vocals...hence a minor additional investment for a passive mixer with efx, and voila...also the weight on a SA220 is ~10 Kg/25lbs, another attractive aspect for us ancient marinators

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

As I've previously mentioned, I had the Bose L1 compact for a month and have used it on many occasions. I feel the L1 needs a mixer. People that I've seen use the L1 withut a mixer sound pretty bad, people that use it with a mixer sound pretty good. Lack of reverb was not a factor but rather a preponderance of that aggressive Bose mid, that needs to be removed either with a mixer, or a guitar and mic that are voiced that way. Given all that an array with reverb could be better - depending.

For long throws, the line arrays work well. For really wide dispersal, sometimes you just need two speakers - or two arrays

BTW, unless you have people and or dancers in front of you, speaker stands are not always necessary. I have done hundreds of solo gigs without speaker stands and seen many others do the same.

As far as how much rig for the gig goes, it's going to depend. Years ago, I gave up trying to do a one size fits all system, and have four sets of speakers and four mixers. I can cover everything from a solo job at a house party to a band gig in a fairly large hall. That's a big financial and space commitment though.

Modern powered speakers have been a bit of a game changer. These days, two 10" quality powered speakers (QSC, EV, Yorkville PS10P...) will cover any solo to trio gig that most of us will play. You could step up to 12" if you're playing with drums, keyboards and so on, but 12" are generally big - I have found tens work just fine in most applications. Most of the time you would only need one speaker. Stands are optional. Mixer and or reverb pedal optional depending on the speaker's mixer section.

That's my take.

Archived