soundscapes, himalayan bowls.

Stoneheart 57

• Members

last night i performed before a very small meditation group of seven people. preferring to keep things spontaneous the focus was on singing bowls instead of the usual selection of gongs. i had just added four new bowls, two of a completely new( read unfamiliar to me) design less than 24 hours prior to the performance so it further added to letting go of the illusion of control. i was out of my comfort zone.

for the first part of the meditation i felt like i was struggling to pull everything upstream. the bowls seemed shy to sing, making me work for every note and refusing to open up. i opened my eyes and noticed we had been joined by two buddhist monks, one i know well and the other i had met briefly, once during a gong meditation but he was pressed for time, leaving for england. thankfully this time we had the good fortune to speak privately at his leisure, after the bowls. anyhow, i had been performing around 40 minutes and figured just let go. completely let it go for ten minutes or so and wrap it up... everyone thought the entire performance had lasted about 45 minutes to possiblyan hour, which is pretty standard for gongs... in fact it was a little over two and a half hours. did i mention the new additions to the collection are blending in quite impressively?

• Members

i was thinking... ok, low impact compared to gongs. a nice light evening and home early!

and then theres that silly law of expectations lesson thing,

again.

oh, i realized after getting set up that i had done nothing to set a mood other than my own personal space... no stone statuary, no thangkas or incense... i wore light, black cotton shorts and a very loose tie dyed t shirt and no shoes the entire evening.

• Moderators

but the audience specifically came prepared for the experience you provided, and likely did not need the stage dressing. If you set up randomly somewhere, then yes, you would need to create teh setting and mood.

you and Voltan should collaborate!

Archived