clip on ear monitors vs in ear monitors

TasSusan

• Members

I'm not familiar with clip ons and thus have no experience with them.

I do know that IEM's are more comfortable if you get the kind that you can have an audiologist fit with a mold of your ear canal. If you aren't using custom molded IEMs, it's another option worth considering.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

Good suggestion Steve. I just tried the Mackie SRM150 (for the second time). Unfortunately I've had bad luck with the build quality on both of the units I tried, although apparently others have had better luck.

I am currently trying out the TC Helicon Voicesolo. Not too shabby at all. Very intuitive design - no manual required except for a few features. Reverb is good, don't care for the "Vocal Tone" preset but I'm not a fan of hyped vocals. There does seem to be an issue with hiss and/or perhaps a noise gate kicking in and out. That "problem" might bother some folks. The only other thing I didn't like was the external power supply - I guess that's a deal breaker for me. However, if you don't mind the wall wart, the Voicesolo could be a viable monitor option for smaller gigs.

Another smallish monitor possibility would be the EV ZxA1. Obviously you can't mic stand mount it, but it is just under twenty pounds, and a quality speaker. I've used them in the past, and quite like them.

• Moderators

I use the Nady PM200 [which powers all 4 of my hot spots if needed], 3 band EQ, plenty loud, stand mountable...I wish the master volume was on the front, but other than that, it is a great little unit. I had wanted the HotSpot [Galaxy] powered unit but it was way too pricey [even USED!] compared to the Nady.

I briefly tried IEMs, but the first ring of feedback told me that without a sound person on the board, they were going to be an issue. So for solo work, I'm not an IEM fan.

I'm not sure what the OP is referring to as a 'clip-on',...

Archived