Summer Gigging Garb

pogo97

• Members

Agree with the short sleeve (loose fitting) being cooler than a T. Maybe also a little more professional. We don't get much hot weather here, but when we do, that seems to work best. Decades ago, I used to gig in Hawaii - you can guess what I wore there...

I also prefer moccasin style shoes to sandals because I've had sunburn and mosquito bites with sandals. I guess that would be an individual preference, depending on how sensitive your skin is, and how tasty your blood is.

• Members

Hawaiian shirt, light cotton long pants (Khaki), and a hat (cotton ball cap to absorb perspiration).

I usually wear a T shirt under the Hawaiian shirt and do not tuck the Hawaiian shirt in. I find this to be the coolest option. Many of the Caribbean islanders wear them this way and that's why I tried it

The t shirt absorbs perspiration keeping the outer shirt nice looking and the air flow through the Hawaiian shirt actually cools by evaporation of the T shirt.

Another option is a T shirt and a guayabera shirt. The people in the Latin Caribbean seem to prefer this.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

I did 2 gigs back to back last weekend in 97 degrees. That's 8 hrs of playing and 2 load in's and outs. What to wear?? Geez, brings 3 shirts on 3 hangers, wear a new one each set. Use deoderant, lots of it. Use sunblock (spf 50 or better. )..have bug spray handy (NO DEET!!! Use avon skin so soft...it does the same thing without DEET)...Drink water before after and during. Take breaks, and get into a/c if possible on the breaks (your car, if no where else)....oh.... and have fun!!!!!!!

• Members

Button up shirts and never shorts. No one wants to see my man boobs in a T shirt and my right knee, which has had 4 surgeries and a total replacement, looks hideously oversized and has a nice zipper scar down the middle of it. It is enough to send small children hiding behind their mothers. LOL

• Moderators

I'm in the loose-fitting shirt and cotton pants crowd. IMHO, nothing looks worse on stage than a bunch of old men on stage in shorts, except a bunch of old men on stage having heat stroke, so if we know the temperature is going over 100F, we will wear shorts. Humidity is typically very low here in SoCal, although we just did a mid-day picnic gig right by the ocean on Saturday [we could hear waves crashing 100 feet below us between songs]. I prefer an Aloha/Hawaiian or bowling shirt [100% cotton or silk] with nothing underneath [but me ;) ] since I have a guitar strapped on.

Sunscreen critical on outdoor gigs, bug repellent usually not required. Water in the mic stand cup holder, a quick swig between songs. For these gigs we usually play an hour or longer per set, which definitely can take a toll on you in direct sunlight. Finding shade on stage is sometimes a challenge...

• Members

Ha ha...this is something I struggle with a lot. For some reason in my mind, when I'm doing a solo acoustic gig, if it's not at a country club or some other fancy event, I feel as if I can dress down more and get away with it. Especially if it's summer and outside. I will almost always wear a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops. Sometimes a ballcap. But if I'm playing with the full (electric) band, it's always jeans and black boots. I know that probably sounds weird. But honestly, last Thursday I had a deck gig scheduled and it was slated to be 97 and a heat advisory. I told them I would cancel unless they moved it indoors, and they moved it indoors. No one wants to sit outside in that weather at all, regardless of whether they're playing or just sitting!

• Members

Thank you all. I dressed in a band tee under a blue loose shirt with white cotton pants, white socks and casual shoes. Everyone knew I was in the band because everybody else in the whole world was wearing shorts. I felt so special. Comfy, too.

I'll post a photo if I find one.

• Members

Ditto Steve Mac.

BTW, I dress like that for most of the winter too, because I am lucky enough to live in Florida. :D

Also, what helps a lot is that I don't live in air conditioning, so I am acclimated to the climate.

I grew up in Florida when nobody had AC in their homes, and we all survived just fine.

Those who get acclimatized to the AC never get used to the heat. It's like "up north" when the first 60 degree (F) chill comes in autumn, people bundle up and freeze, and when the first 60 degree warm spell comes in the spring they go out without shirts.

If you live in AC, your body gets used to functioning in the cool and can't take the heat.

Plus as an environmentalist I have a problem with AC. The carbon and other pollutants used to power the ACs in the USA exceed the air pollution of the entire US industrial output. So it seems to me a bit foolish to add to the heating of the outside air and the rest of the earth to stay cool inside.

In the 1960s, fewer than 10% of the homes had AC, and they were mostly window units. I just never got used to them. Perhaps I'm lucky, perhaps foolish. But without trying, I'm also saving a lot of money.

Full disclaimer: I have AC in the house, and when company comes over, I turn it on so my guests are comfortable.

Insights and incites by Notes.

Archived