Ice Breaker

ptkbass

• Members

Ladies and Gentlemen;

So, you know how nothing happens until the first couple of people clap and carry on after a song, and then the other people know that it's OK to show some goddamn emotion and the rest of the gig totally rocks? Well....Looper to the rescue. Gonna can some applause and use it after a killer tune to break the ice.

I'll let you know if it works.

But if it doesn't work I'll keep it to myself.

Peace

Paul K

• Members

This past Thursday, the owner comes up to me before I start just to give me a heads up that the woman who had just come in doesn't like music!?! Normally, I can count on waitstaff taking turns with the owner to make sure every tune gets some applause. This time, it took six songs before someone else clapped . . . to "Blueberry Hill" of all things. I had just played "Peg", knowing they wouldn't be listening to the lyrics. :-)

• Members

I frequently start with informing the crowd that in order to decide what songs to play I need to get an idea of how old/ young everyone is and then play a few tv adverts starting with the eighties and going back to the early sixties, stopping just before the punchline. At the start most of the crowd sing the punchline and then progressively fewer as the ads get older. During the course of this, which may go on for ten minutes, I encourage banter between tables regarding ages. The upshot is the ice in the room is well and truly broken.

Archived