Noise pollution!

Pat'sStrat

• Members

So, Friday night I'm soloing at one of my favorite places. It's an old 1920s craftsman style house converted to a restaurant. In bad weather, I play indoors, but outside, where the long driveway is next to the house they converted it into outdoor seating, and turned the garage into a bakery where they make their breads and desserts. Really cool place. The problem is, it's right next door to a gas station, which sits on a busy main thoroughfare, Folks pull up to the gas station to get beer, a Red Box video or get gas, and they leave their thumping car stereos on, literally 20 feet from where I'm playing. I'm separated from them by a fence, but where I sit the fence is low, so the sound goes right into my ear. To make matters worse, right across the street from the gas station is a college bar, and because there is no smoking inside anywhere in the state, they put sidewalk speakers outside so the smokers can hear the music, which is also usually really thumpy hip hop or Kei$ha repeating the same inane phrase over, and over, and over. Top it off with the Harley guys who seem to think everyone wants to hear them rip their throttles open at the stop light and the guys in the modified early 90s Hondas and Toyotas with the exhausts that sound like hornets in a coffee can, and it's almost more than I can take. The guest are separated from the noise by an 8 foot fence, it's just that where i sit it's only 3 feet tall. I hate to refuse to play outside, but I don't know if I can take it again. I do ots of outside gigs, but this is by far the noisiest. Unfortunately, it is also one of the highest paying.

• Members

Geez....been in that situation. Motorcycles can make a hellacious racket, and Muscle cars,too. If the event isn't carefully put together this can happen. Thankfully it's rare. If it was a re-occuring situation I'd work elsewhere (maybe thats why they pay better????).

• Moderators

have you discussed this issue with the owners? A little rough carpentry would cut the noise down [and I know you know some rough carpenters...;) ]

It seems a shame to give up a gig where a better fence would make for better neighbors...

Even indoors is not safe from hog-riding-fools who blow their exhaust like it was an airhorn....

• Members

As a contrast, I played an outdoor mass yesterday in a cemetery on an island in the St. Lawrence river. Got there by a three-car ferry. During the service, I think one truck went by and a cardinal kept singing up in a red pine tree. Otherwise, pretty quiet.

• Members

I've played in some similar situations. It isn't ideal but we made the best we could of it.

We were the house band at a Yacht club for a number of years. We played the lounge which was an add-on, and what separated the lounge from the dining room was the plate glass picture windows that used to be exterior, and a thin lacy curtain.

The yacht club patrons liked the volume at about 85db max.

Most of the time this was fine, but if they rented the dining room out for a wedding - the thump thump would come through those windows at about 100db minimum. It's enough to make you want to go home, and a few of the worst ones the manager sent us home (with pay).

What can you do? In the case of the yacht club since most nights were delightful and they paid well, just make the best of the situation.

If it isn't a 'house gig' you have the choice of IEMs, talk with the management, decline the job, or make the best of it.

Insights and incites by Notes

Archived