eclectic establishments engaging performance artists...

Voltan

• Members

a couple local clubs have made inquiry as to me bringing my gongs, singing bowls, etc, "regenisis", as an act. i have mixed feelings. these arent dance venues... well, one could be but generally speaking, no.... not being familiar with the instrument, most believe gongs are very loud, obnoxious noise makers and those would be half right. problem being, without silence and a noise floor sufficiently low so subtle differences can be noted, half of what i can do is relegated to not workable. albeit, half of infinity is still infinity, it severely limits my ability to communicate with my instrument. add to this a drinking atmosphere which is pretty much polar opposite of what you would need for appreciating the form and ive pretty much just talked myself out of playing at either venue...

lol, thanks...

• Moderators

unless teh $ is HUGE... ;)

But really, I agree, there is no point trying to do your material if it doesn't fit the venue. I would think though, that maybe [not knowing the venues, mind you] you might have them set a side a night like a Monday or Tuesday, which are typically 'calmer', where you might have a more subdued audience...?

Or not...trust your judgement, oh benevolent one...:wave:

• Members

d-mack, brilliant! experimental music, experimental night...

ive come to teh conklusion that i could probably grandstand more attention by staging my own event(s) rather than beat the conventional path... every couple of months give a free saturday afternoon concert at a local park. simple and easy, pick someplace within an hour or so set up the show and just have fun... its not like ive not played freebies before, i have all the gear i need, plus...and if im the only one getting paid i could probably do it for under $50... including my meal.( im a cheap date)

• Members

There are few things worse than being mis-booked.

It will do neither you, the club owner nor the audience any good. From what you described, I think you made the right call.

BTW, I love gongs. I love how the envelope and harmonics change as the sound fades (at least the 'normal' ones they use in symphony orchestras). I'd love to hear you do your thing in the right setting.

Notes

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I wonder if we're selling ourselves short, and I hope we're not saying that if a venue has limited itself to a certain style, then we should assume that anything else won't be welcome. Venues are limited to what's available, by definition. If you have something different to offer and if it's promoted properly, maybe it will be a success.

• Moderators

well, the 'maybe' is the key...but I doubt a venue that books country acts is going to happily book someone doing show tunes or pop tunes from the 1920s, or Voltan's act. A room that books those type of acts is not likely to book a country act or pop rock. The venue owners, if they are worth their salt, know the kind of crowds they attract, and the kind of acts they are into, and know not to stray too far. Add to that the fact that most will not lift a finger for promotion these days, putting the entire burden on the entertainer to get a different crowd in the room.

Archived