My Core Setup

Gearo998

• Members

I have been using a Fishman SA220 for about 4 years. I plan on moving to Line 6 LT series over the next few months. I'm also using a TC Play Acoustic. I use the looper and harmonies live. In this video I'm using a Rainsong but I gig with a Taylor T5z. I will share more as I get time. I lurk here a lot and hope to add some value. Peace.

• Members

Hi, welcome to the forum that's an interesting selection of gear, I have been using the voicelive play gtx for a few years and am intrigued with that Taylor of yours. Does it have a twin cable out ie piezzo and mags and if so where do you send the mags or does it not work that way?

Whereabouts are you from and what size venues do you play? Sorry that sounds a bit like an inquisition just really curious.

• Moderators

I'm curious as to why you are going to the Line 6 rig, as when I looked at them it seemed to be biased more for boosting bass, and less adept at covering guitar/vocals, as the SA220 is. Are you using backing tracks?

• Members

I want a bigger sound. With 1400 watts in the L3t there should be a bigger sound. And a 12" powered sub below. I use a looper for 30% of my songs and I have been adding loops made with my keyboard. Isn't the L3t built for guitar and vocals?

• Moderators

not exactly, the ycall it an "all-in-one solution for your PA needs". Two 10" low frequency drivers? Hardly needed to amplify guitar and vocals, IMHO. a 1" tweeter, getting 175W? Seems like the bass is going to be much more 'present' in the mix. I'm not saying not to get it, I'm just always curious...how loud should a solo guitarist singer need to be?

I know the SA220 can get lost in large rooms full of people, and especially outdoors; I've experienced it a few times [which is why I also have 2 600w Alto 10" units on sticks and a mixer]. But I have to say that the best I have heard a solo singer/guitarist sound has been either using a FishStick or a Bose L1 with a bass unit. I never recommend the Bose because they want way too much for what it is.

I am impressed with how far the sound reinforcement industry has come in the last 5 years now that they grasped the array concept. And they are stumbling over each other...more power, more bottom end, better dispersion angles, improved onstage self monitoring...but....

Last month it was the Mackie Reach, now the Line 6 L3T...next month? Who knows...?

• Moderators
What do you use for a monitor?

Typically, I set the Fish-stick where I can hear it... usually just to my right, about a foot behind me, within arms reach. I don't have any pics, unfortunately.

Since it is mainly me, a guitar, [plus on some tunes a looper, the BeatBuddy and/or a vocal harmonizer] not much to monitor if the room is right.

I have a set of 'hot-spot' monitors, 1 powered [~175W], the other 3 are passives for duo/trio/quartet use. For solo, if I feel the room needs me to have a monitor [meaning I need to kick the volume up louder than I'd like], I have the powered unit, the passive mixer and an extra mic stand for it to sit on. I bring them along regardless; if I don't need it, it stays in the trunk, they don't take up too much room...or weigh very much. just an additional trip to the parking lot if needed. Always bring more that you think you need...a lesson learned the hard way decades ago.

Archived