equipment prophylactics

pogo97

• Members

A couple of weeks ago, I was slinging on my dobro and the strap slipped off the little knobby and my treasured guitar fell to the floor. There was damage as the resonator collapsed into the guitar, but this being a dobro, I had it fixed in about twenty minutes. This is the first time this has happened to me in over forty years. It's been run over by trucks twice and fell once when I leaned it on an AV cart which someone then moved, but this is the first time I've dropped it. And I'd rather not repeat the experiment.

This has me thinking about strap-locs and other equpment protection. We've been discussing cases and gig bags here : serviceable gig bags . So maybe we can talk about ways to protect your instrument once it's out of the case.

I also wonder about the habit of looping your cord through the strap before plugging it in. I can see that this prevents pulling out the plug or bending it radically if you step on the cord, but it also strikes me that it would be possible that stepping on the cord while it's looped through the strap might well pull the strap off.

Thoughts and experiences?

• Moderators

there are locking straps...a great simple idea...I have a few. Perfect for acoustics, especially with end-button jacks. There are so many other things that can go wrong, you owe it to your instrument to take all reasonable precautions.

the basic @ $20 (US): https://www.google.com/express/product/578151258764488373_9486919643412674480_1327510?mall=Arizona&directCheckout=1

• Members

I use a self locking strap on my stage acoustic, it has a type of press stud that keeps everything secure. On my hollowbody I use loxx strap locks. I have never used any type before so can't compare and used reviews on line to choose. Having said that I couldn't be happier with them, the engineering is like magic and the strap goes on and off in a split second but only when you want it to. I also like the look of them better than the other types.

http://loxxstraplock.com/index.php?p...stomer-reviews

• Members

Sorry for your accident - that hurts thinking about it. Happened to me New Year's Eve 2014. Strap fell off while I was setting up. Guitar dropped to the floor and broke my G string tuner - no stripper jokes please! I had to use my back-up guitar until I could get another one down to the gig - a real nightmare.

I have locking straps on two of my guitars, and so far so good. However, I did have a locking strap end break on another guitar, so they aren't perfect. I have experimented with washers to prevent the strap from coming off, but if something goes wrong with the strap you need tools to change it. I have also used the cheap plastic disk shaped locks but they failed me. Maybe my locks fail because on my rock gigs, I run out into the crowd or wind up I'm my back doing the worm....

If you don't move around much, the plastic disk shaped ones that they sell at L&M could work. Best part is there is no guitar surgery involved with those ones.

• Members

Sounds like it might work. I don't move around much. I also leave the strap in place when I take off the guitar. I've used bread tags in the past when one strap was getting worn -- ugly but effective -- but it seemed a bit of a nuisance. I'll look for those disks.

• 2 months later...

Archived