Interesting Weekend

Shaster

• Members

Okay maybe not the whole thing but parts of it. Had a solo gig on Saturday night, fancy hotel. So fancy we're not allowed to leave our guitar cases on the stage area. We store them in a closet with the coats and high chairs. End of gig I go to get my case and it's gone. I'm assuming the staff moved it, so I ask around, but nothing. Then the staff discover that they are missing some pillows, but the the expensive leather pillow coverings were left behind. All the after dinner candies were also strewn about. Oddly enough the managers checked the video cameras, and no one except me went into the closet - poltergeist? Lost my case and a two hundred dollar mic. I don't know if I'll be reimbursed.

Sunday I played Italian Day with a really good band. Had at least a thousand people at our stage. I put in a lot of hours learning about thirty Italian tunes. Some of it the traditional stuff but some of it pretty complicated Euro Rock tunes. After the gig we went to the owner's restaurant where I was treated to some really cool solo acts. It seems like tracks and/or drum machines are okay with our Italian crowd, but tracks or no, these solo artists were really good. He had about three guys performing during the day and night and I was quite impressed.

Here's one of the pop tunes I had to learn. Fun stuff but man my brain hurts now.

[video=youtube;BQi9peTRdnA]

• Members

Cool video, a bit spaghetti western, after a few years I have only managed to learn the one Turkish song but when I pull it out, man it's appreciated. Bummer about your case and mic, surely if the venue insists you tidy the stuff away in a place they specify, then they become responsible for their safe keeping?

• Members

Strange thing about the case was that they had to either sneak by the front desk staff, as well as two to three doormen/valet guys, or walk through the venue with my case and pillows, and then sneak past the hostess.

As you fellas have mentioned, I feel like I should be reimbursed because I would not normally leave my case there... but I'm not holding my breath. They spent over 10 million on recent renos - maybe they're out of money!

The mic I lost was an AudioTechnica 61HE. You can't get them anymore. While I normally use a Senn e835 or Shure SM58, the AudioTechnica was my go to mic if the house PA was really muddy, middy or funky. A bit like a condenser. I still have one but I guess it stays at home now. http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Audio-Technica/ATM61HE

• Moderators

Truly sorry about your gear getting ripped...that really sux majorly!

The moment the house told you where to store your stuff, where you could not see it, they assumed responsibility for it. Tell them that, and stick it to them hard.

Odds are the pillows left inside the guitar case...so now it is a pillow case. :badump:

Now...that video..frankly, what was all the pseudo story line? Made no sense to me at all.

The music sounds like an Italiano's attempt to mix blues and Nawlin's funk into something that is almost cohesive, but, sadly, unaffecting, IMHO...

I hope the rest of the music was better than that...

• Members

Pillow case! Okay that brought a smile...

Yes the whole Euro Pop thing is an acquired taste. Everything is a little borrowed and not very blues. I took to naming the songs by their original "inspirations". so Bacco Perbacco became Stuck In The Middle.... For me it was good exposure to another side of music - except a lot of work, 'cause most songs were in a three or four song medley, as I said before.

The band performed a lot of Zucchero's stuff - I guess he's pretty big. Here's Bacco Perbacco, or Stuck In the Middle as I called it. Different melody and I guess you can't copyright a riff - or maybe the lawyers have that figured out now.

[video=youtube;Tf_uLJ7Hg_Q]

• Moderators
  • Members

Like I said interesting. Another whole slice of the musical pie I knew nothing about. Speaking of food, besides the bandleader being a great showman (if that floats the boat) he also owns a great restaurant. Nothing like finishing the gig and going to eat afterwards - I'm down for that.

Here's a clip of the event. I even get my three seconds of fame when I solo out on "the catwalk".

[video=youtube;F03oENgp5Xk]

Archived